DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 13th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Major Player

FCP 7 with new Mac Pro

I looked around but didn't see a thread devoted to just this.

Now that there must be new owners of the new R2D2 Mac Pro, could anyone chime in on how the FCP 7 migration is going? Or are FCP 7's days all the fewer in number?

Do excuse me if there is a thread -- I just couldn't find it.
Old March 14th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: FCP 7 with new Mac Pro

Tim,

I will let you know in the next few days. I have been using my new Mac Pro with Pegasus RAID for 6 weeks now but only in PP CC. I moved from FCP 7 in Nov when I had to start editing XAVC HD and 4K from my F55. But I now have FCP 7 on the Mac Pro and need to move around footage over the next few days then I will bring up an old project to see how it work.

From what I have been told it won't work well at all with Mavericks and that is the lowest OS that the new Mac Pro will run.

More soon.
Old March 14th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Just used FCP7 on Mavericks, although on my 2009 MacPro, and it worked just fine. Haven't tried it on my new MacPro yet. Don't see a need to as I have migrated over to FCPX about 99%.
Old March 14th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
From what I have been told it won't work well at all with Mavericks and that is the lowest OS that the new Mac Pro will run.

I'm running FCP7 for LIGHT DUTY edits on my Mavericks-equipped Late 2013 13" MacBook Retina.

I haven't found any issues YET but I'm NOT pushing it hard. The iMac is still my primary edit computer.
Old March 17th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Trustee

I have been running FCP 7 with Mavericks on my laptop from the beginning of Mavericks release. FCP 7 works but several ancillary programs have issues. Mpeg streamclip may not work and if you use Qmaster clusters then you better have them built already as you can't make new ones with FCP 3 install. Compressor runs and uses the clusters if made. DVD Studio also works on Mavericks. Since the new Mac Pros start at Mavericks you probably will have to find other solutions for some old favorite software but FCP 7 should work well for editing.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #6
Inner Circle

MPEGStreamclip works fine with Mavericks on my systems. A change in QuickTime prevents previews with exporting DV codecs but the results are the same as before.

Qmaster was falling apart on my MacPro long before Mavericks which knocked it out completely. DVDs take longer on the old tower now but it is faster than the previous version without Qmaster enabled. The new version of Compressor works great on the new MacPro but some codecs do not activate the new version of Qmaster. DVD MPEG for example.
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #7
Major Player

From these last testimonials, it actually sounds promising...
I'm waiting till the very last minute to make the move to the new Mac Pro. I'm milking my 2006 workhorse (souped up) as long as possible. And it really has been a workhorse. When I make the move, I'll undoubtedly need to get a hard drive thunderbolt stacker (to deal with those 4 "internal" drives I'm using).
Old March 24th, 2014, 09:21 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Tim,

Sorry I have been quite, been away and just home again.

Your plan sounds right to keep using the 2006 Mac Pro as long as you can. I did the same with my 2007 turbo Mac Pro which I am about to sell with Dulce 16TB raid. Amazing machine but I went 4K and XAVCHD with PP CC so I moved up and a new Mac Pro.
Old April 21st, 2014, 07:15 AM   #9
Trustee

Client of mine bought a new Mac Pro recently and installed FCP 7 as Legacy software. Seems to be working fine. He is thinking he will be moving to Creative Cloud but is keeping his options open. Just upgraded my Older Mac Pro main drive to Mavericks while keeping a BU system drive with Mountain Lion. So far the only issues once I upgraded BMD drivers are the known issues with clusters, Flip for Mac needs updating.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite