Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 12th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The NEW iMacG5

http://www.apple.com/imac/
Colby Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 07:30 AM   #2
Wrangler

Well the specs don't seem to have bumped up that much, but I find the built-in iSight camera fascinating...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 07:49 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Well the specs don't seem to have bumped up that much, but I find the built-in iSight camera fascinating...
Ummm, there's more there than meets the eye. Slight bump in processor speed, major graphics upgrade going to the PCI express interface, dual layer superdrive, thinner case. The built in camera is nice, but I would rather have an external camera that I can adjust without having to adjust the entire computer.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #4
Wrangler

This is interesting (also some info on the iPod here). The new iMacs include a wireless remote control:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051013/apple.html?.v=5

Quote:
Using software called "Front Row" that comes with the iMacs, the remote control allows users to quickly browse and access their music, photo and video files from across the room, as far as 30 feet away, according to Apple.

The new iMacs also carry new software called "Photo Booth" that allows users to take quick snapshots and send them to others via e-mail.
Old October 13th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Also DDR2 533 RAM.
Claude Isbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
looks like i'm the only to get your sarcasm. btw, pci express is a non issue, since the card not the interface is the bottleneck. imhop, its a very modest upgrade.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:07 AM   #7
Wrangler

Sorry, you got something I wasn't giving. That wasn't intended as sarcasm. My point is that Apple is making it really easy to to do videoconferencing right out of the box. And the remote control hints at what may soon evolve into a home entertainment system.
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #8
Wrangler

The prices are also a bit lower. The 20in model is selling for 1699USD whereas I paid 1899 for mine without most of this stuff just last February.

-gb-
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Sorry, you got something I wasn't giving. That wasn't intended as sarcasm. My point is that Apple is making it really easy to to do videoconferencing right out of the box. And the remote control hints at what may soon evolve into a home entertainment system.
I read it as sarcasm because thats the way I assume most video editors would feel about a built-in web cam. whoopie! For consumers or ppl who video conference it cuts down on clutter but for me I would have no use for it. The only meaningful improvement is the extra ram.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #10
Wrangler

I am not interested in the iMac G5 for myself, and I've never used the iSight either. That doesn't mean it isn't a useful product for someone else however. And as an Apple shareholder I'm happy to watch them carve out new markets.
Old October 15th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Ummm, there's more there than meets the eye. Slight bump in processor speed, major graphics upgrade going to the PCI express interface, dual layer superdrive, thinner case. The built in camera is nice, but I would rather have an external camera that I can adjust without having to adjust the entire computer.
Minor correction:

The previous model iMac was also equipped with a dual-layer superdrive. :-)
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Smith
Minor correction:

The previous model iMac was also equipped with a dual-layer superdrive. :-)
Yep, you are correct. I was thinking about my system which I bought just a couple months before the last version came out. No dual layer here yet. I'm sure I'll get around to putting one in pretty soon.

BTW Duane, do you ever come to the FCPUG meetings at the Willow Bend store?

-gb-
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Being brand new, I'm sure no one has had the opportunity to use this new iMac yet. Any opinions on how it may handle editing?
Colby Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:29 AM   #14
Major Player

If it did monitor expansion instead of just mirroring.... man, then I'd consider it as a nice "tweener" machine.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:59 PM   #15
Major Player

Mark,

It can do extended desktop with dual monitors. You just have to apply an easily done openfirmware tweak. The graphics "card" in it supports extended desktop but it's disabled through openfirmware modification.

Here's how to do it.

Here's my old setup.

Also, I'm sure the new iMac is up to the task. I currently edit on a Mac Mini and it does great with DV footage. I use a DP G5 at work for uncompressed SD though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite