DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 13th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #1
New Boot

Motion2...is this the right forum?

I need some advice using Motion2 but I'm not sure if this is the right forum. Is it?

Thanks,
Todd
Todd Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Go ahead Todd, we've talked about it a bit here before
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #3
New Boot

I'm trying to get an object to appear over text and flash. In Motion 2

Ok, let me try to explain. I have a word appear on the screen, then I want a red circle with a slash through it (like the "I Can't Drive 55" image from my Van Halen days) appear over top of the word. But the problem I'm having is I can't figure out how to make the circle like a mask so that I can see through the circle to read the word under the circle. I know I'm missing something simple, but I can't seem to get it.

Any help is apperciated.

Todd
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Coffman
Ok, let me try to explain. I have a word appear on the screen, then I want a red circle with a slash through it (like the "I Can't Drive 55" image from my Van Halen days) appear over top of the word. But the problem I'm having is I can't figure out how to make the circle like a mask so that I can see through the circle to read the word under the circle. I know I'm missing something simple, but I can't seem to get it.

Any help is apperciated.

Todd
Set the opactity of that circle object to say 50 or 75 percent. Should be under the properties inspector with the object highlighted.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #5

Click the circle tool. Press shift while dragging (the shift will keep the circle square) and make the circle the size you want. Press "D" to bring up the dashboard and you will see two buttons that say - "Fill" and "Outline." Uncheck the "Fill" and check the "Outline" button, then set the outline to whatever thickness you want. 36 looked about right to me.

Now just draw a rectangle to create the slash part of the circle, and rotate it to whatever looks right to you.

Hope this helps. I can email you a screen grab of what I did if it helps. Or the motion file itself. Let me know if you think you need it.

Another alternative would be to create the image in Adobe Illustrator then save it as a .png file (which will be clear in the parts that should be clear). Then just import that into Motion.

I MUCH, MUCH, MUCH prefer to do it in Motion though because of its intuitive interface. Plus it keeps the circle editable in case you decide that you want to make some changes to it... for when you add that ghost to it.

Who you gonna call?
Old October 15th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #6
Wrangler

From your description I don't think it has anything to do with opacity. I think it's an alpha channel issue. In photoshop, create your graphic on a separate layer (not the background layer). There are a lot of ways to do this, one would be using the circular marquee and filling it with red (or whatever). Then use another circular marquee inside and clear the center out. Then you could use the line tool or rectangular lasso to create the diagonal red line. Now hide the background layer. Everything but your circle and slash should have a checkerboard pattern in photoshop.

Or if you already have the graphic in photoshop, copy and paste it into a blank document which should put it on a separate layer. Hide the background layer, then use the magic wand to select the opaque areas you want to remove and either use the clear command or the delete key. You should then see the checkerboard through these areas.

Import that into Motion and I think you will be good to go, although you may need to indicate that the image has an alpha channel somewhere, can't remember off-hand.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #7
New Boot

Derek, That's what I was looking to do. And that is pretty much what I did. I would love to see the screen shot or the motion file just to compare it with what I did.
Boyd, thanks for the advice, but since I don't have Photoshop so that makes it a little harder. I know I need to get a photo editor I just can't afford anything like Photoshop at the moment.
Thanks for all the help,
Todd
mactoddy@mac.com
Old October 16th, 2005, 05:41 AM   #8

Todd,

Emailed the screenshot .jpg and .motn file to you. Best of luck on your project.

Last edited by Guest; October 16th, 2005 at 12:28 PM.
Old October 16th, 2005, 06:38 AM   #9
Wrangler

Trying to do video without an image editor is like running a race with only one leg! ;-) I suggest you pick up a copy of Photoshop Elements which is only $75. I have been using it for years (Photoshop LE before it was introduced) and have never felt the need to upgrade to the full version of Photoshop.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #10

Sure would be nice to see a Motion and After Effects section added here, especially with how intertwined video and graphics have become.

[hint, hint Chris H] ;)
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #11
New Boot

I agree...on the last two comments

Thanks everyone.
Todd Coffman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite