DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 11th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #16
Go Go Godzilla

Re: Still Need FCP 7 - on El Capitan?!!

Josh: While Resolve has it's core color-correcting functionality built-in, you definitely don't need any external control panels or special knowledge to use it's color-correcting features. It's basic color correcting panel is just as easy - but far more powerful - than the 3-way color corrector in FCP 7. (see screenshot)

The best thing is, nearly 95% percent of of Resolve's functionality is fully available without limitation - for free!! Seriously, you should download the latest version and try it out, you've literally got nothing to lose.

And for those hanging onto the "old stuff", I get it. I'm still using - and will use FCP 7 for quite some time simply because I've mastered it and it's so damned fast and easy for me to use. But in all honesty after less than 1 hour total time on DaVinci Resolve 12.5.2 I'm already convinced it will become the FCP 7 replacement going forward. It's just too damned powerful, quick and intuitive NOT to make it my primary tool going forward.

Lightworks is definitely a curiosity and over the years seems to have been well developed so I plan on giving it a whirl also, but considering how established Black Magic - and DaVinci have become in the industry I'd be hard pressed to believe anything else would be a viable replacement for FCP 7. For now.
Attached Thumbnails
Still Need FCP 7 - on El Capitan?!!-dvr-color-panel.jpg  
Old September 12th, 2016, 01:12 AM   #17
Slash Rules!

I'm sure Resolve is very nice and if forced to move on that's probably the first thing I'll try. Just don't have a reason to right now. Don't edit a whole lot and when I do it's almost exclusively EX1 footage.

I didn't realize Resolve had a simple color wheel. . .thought it was all nodes and other craziness.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 05:48 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Although when considering Resolve 12.5, ensure your computer is powerful enough, it's pretty demanding.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #19
Go Go Godzilla

It's only demanding if you push it to it's high-end capabilities, by NOT using pre-conformed footage or turning on background renders (which by default Resolve wants to auto-render your timeline in 5 seconds of inactivity). So if you set it up properly and bring in easy-to-handle footage, such as ProRes 422 then it's no more demanding than FCP 7 was (is).

I just purchased a late-2014 iMac w/24GB of RAM and it sails through edits much smoother than FCP ever did - and oh my god, *especially* with the built-in titling tool!! Holy cow, even Boris in FCP7 wasn't this simple to use - or as powerful!!

And to be clear, you DON'T need the external control surface/s to use the color-correction capabilities. That too requires a high-end system and fast external drives.

My whole point on this thread is and will be (as I create the assets for the actual review) aimed squarely at the FCP 7 user-base that just can't pull the trigger on anything else BECAUSE we don't want to lose our workflows, functionality or ease of editing.

So if you're a PP, Avid or Lightworks fan already then D.R. 12 may not interest you. But if you're a dyed-in-the-wool FCP guy and want to move forward with something that looks, feels and plays like a new version of FCP would have, then this is definitely up your alley.
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:43 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Although, you should also bear in mind that using workflows for FCP7 may not be getting the best out of a different NLE, which may have more streamlined methods of doing these operations.

Yes, I gather just using the editing function of Resolve 12.5, is less demanding than the full colour suite.
Old September 14th, 2016, 06:28 AM   #21
Go Go Godzilla

It's a matter of opinion, which is why there are different tools out there. DVR isn't *exactly* FCP 7, nor should it be. It's what we all hoped Apple would have created for us, instead Black Magic did it.

The best way to describe DVR and it's capabilities are that it's a familiar workspace the FCP 7 editors can get their head around *quickly* rather than reinventing the wheel with totally different layouts and workflows (which is what PP has always felt like to me) while offering up a faster, more logical workspace with easy access to all the primary functions and a quick methodology to "go deep" should the user choose to.

If DVR wasn't so damned logical in it's approach to NLE work I wouldn't be sharing it.
Old September 14th, 2016, 07:59 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Resolve 12.5 seems to have elements of a number of other NLEs, starting more or less from scratch has the benefit of seeing what works and doesn't work in other NLEs and making use of them.
Old September 18th, 2016, 08:32 PM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
I just purchased a late-2014 iMac w/24GB of RAM and it sails through edits much smoother than FCP ever did
Thanks for the info on Resolve Robert. I now have El Capitan on an external drive with Resolve and the FCP free trial. Wasn't sure whether my 16gb 2012 2.5ghz i5 mini (with 1.5gb Intel HD 4000 graphics) would be able to run Resolve, but it seems to work fine with some 480i clips that I imported. Same for FCP. Haven't tried anything beyond a brief play yet.

I am nowhere near ready to make the switch to either of these programs, but it will be good to start thinking about the future. Since my last post, I gave up on using my MacBook Air as a primary editing machine, I could not get the OWC Thunderbolt dock to work reliably. So I re-purposed the mini, which has been a media server for the past couple years. It's a bit slower than my MacBook Air and it doesn't have a SSD, but it has all the ports I need, like firewire for my tape deck.

Was pleasantly surprised that I could boot the Mini directly from a clone of my MacBook Air, and Final Cut Pro 6 runs very nicely on it under MacOSX 10.8.5. I am going to stick with this for awhile; it's stable and I have a large quantity of legacy DV tapes to ingest. At this point, I don't see much advantage to upgrading since I'll be working with SD footage for awhile and need firewire for capture/external video monitoring.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 09:04 PM   #24
Wrangler

After a lot of messing around, I now have Final Cut Pro 6 running nicely under MacOSX 10.8.5 on my Mac Mini and using a BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor for external video. Even though Blackmagic says you need at least MacOSX 10.9 for the Mini Monitor, it has been working fine on 10.8.5 and I can choose it as an external audio and video device in FCP.

I also have the Final Cut Pro X free trial running under El Capitan and it also works with the Mini Monitor. As a test, I used 7toX to translate my current project from FCP 6 to FCPX and it did a pretty good job. I might be able to get used to FCPX with a little practice.

But I'm not sure if my Mini is really up to the task. Everything seems to work fine, but I noticed that the image on the external monitor was a bit ragged, and discovered this was because FCPX was defaulting to only showing one field. Showing both fields makes it look fine, but playback is not completely smooth, it is dropping frames, and this is only a 480i SD project.

My Mini is the 2012 base model, dual i5 2.5ghz (Geekbench score 6773) with 16gb RAM. FCP6 has no problem playing back both fields at full quality on this machine. Maybe there are some other settings to tweak to get smooth playback in FCPX? Will keep playing around with this, but mainly I'm just happy to have everything working well in FCP6 on the Mini now.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite