No more legacy FCP in High Sierra at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 24th, 2017, 09:24 AM   #1
Wrangler

No more legacy FCP in High Sierra

This shouldn't surprise anyone. But it's intereresting to see that Apple actually acknowledges some people are still using the old Pro Apps in Sierra. I stuck with Mountain Lion until last month because it ran all my expensive old software. Upgraded my MacBook Air and quad Mini to Sierra last month, also finally switched to Final Cut X, Compressor and Logic Pro X. But I was surprised to find that the legacy versions still ran under Sierra (although there are some issues). I have the mini setup to dual boot into Mountain Lion when needed and will only run the old apps in that environment.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/08/23...-incompatible/

"Apple today started sending out emails to customers who are using older versions of its pro apps to inform them about impending incompatibilities with macOS High Sierra. "

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207888

Customers using earlier versions of Apple Pro Apps—including Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Motion, Compressor, or MainStage—need to update their apps to be compatible with macOS High Sierra, available this fall.

These versions of Apple Pro Apps are compatible with macOS High Sierra:

Final Cut Pro X 10.3.4 or later
Motion 5.3.2 or later
Compressor 4.3.2 or later
Logic Pro X 10.3.1 or later
MainStage 3.3 or later
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: No more legacy FCP in High Sierra

Might have to partition the start up drive or keep a second one around to boot in the older system set up if you have legacy projects you want to access. No rush to High Sierra for my edit systems anyway.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 02:22 PM   #3
Wrangler

Just read a post on another site where somebody said the update bricked their Mac Pro and another user said their Mini now only recognizes half of his installed RAM. I am happy that Sierra runs well on my systems and won't be in any rush to upgrade. Will also be interesting to see how well the new filesystem works for people.

I thought High Sierra wouldn'r run 32 bit applications, but evidently that isn't the case after all. So it seems that Apple has intentionally prevented their legacy apps from running:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...nica-review/3/

"Even in High Sierra, as of this writing, all of Apple’s code is 64-bit—but you can continue to develop and run 32-bit apps as long as there’s not some other compatibility problem.

But this is the beginning of the end. High Sierra will, in Apple's own words, be the last macOS release that can support 32-bit macOS apps “without compromise.”
- - - - - -
Apple hasn’t clarified what “without compromise” means, and presumably 32-bit apps from outside the Mac App Store will continue to run for at least the next year or two "
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Trustee

It’s a lot of work keeping up with all the changes. Back in the days of the typewriter and Super 8 mm film there wasn’t this problem and supposedly electronic stuff is supposed to make it easier.

I’ve got an iBook that I keep for just running some applications that won’t work on the newer machines, a MacBook “White” running Snow Leopard for the same reason. Put a small SSD in it and it screams, and that with only 2MB of RAM. And a MP 3,1 also for running legacy FCPX. So what to do now, another iteration of hanging onto an older computer to run legacy apps?

Will have to be careful updating, and backing up, to make sure there isn’t a major problem. Will also be following all the posts about these changes.

Just got a message in FCP X today with a warning:
Attached Thumbnails
No more legacy FCP in High Sierra-screen-shot-2017-09-27-12.37.16-pm.png  
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite