Eating Memory Too Fast On Capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 27th, 2005, 08:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Eating Memory Too Fast On Capture

I'm in the middle of editing a Wedding with FCP4. In the middoe of capturing more footage, about 5 min of footage, all of a sudden the mmory on one of my drives goes from 100 gigs down to 742 megs! I'm not capturing un-compressed, so what the heck is going on? i've had this problem once or twice in the past but never figured out what is causing that. i'VE CAPTURED MANY A TIME WITHOUT THIS PROBLEM!!! Anybody have any suggestions? if this happen on my other drive, i'm in trouble with this project! I now only have 80 Gigs left to play with. I'm hesitant in delete anything from the project.
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #2
Major Player

I recently had some similar problems with an external drive, so I tried Disk Utility on it. It found some problems, fixed them, and trouble no more.

It's a shot in the dark, and Im sure you've tried it, but if your drive is mysteriously "eating memory" its more likely a problem with the drive and not FCP. One big thing to check is where the memory is going.

Good luck!
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Patrick for the suggestion. That was the first thing I did right after it happened. I actually did it as well a day b4 I started the project. When i did it the time after the problem occured, there was no indication that anything needed repair. Anyway, hopefully I'll run smoothly for the rest of the project.

Joe
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #4
Wrangler

Sounds a lot like the problem discussed in this "sticky"

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=44189
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite