DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 28th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Reversing telecined footage

Hi, I have a very interesting question (I hope).

I am editing my short, shot on 35mm, telecined to DVCAM - I am editing the DCCAM now, in FCP HD.

I have a dolly shot, right to left. I tried to reverse it, so it would be from left to right. On the monitor it looks completely fine, but on the NTSC monitor is incredibly jumpy, nowhere near the smoothness you see when you play it normally, right to left.

It has to do with the interlaced pulldown frames, they stick out much more in the reversed version. They play smoothly normally but they ruin the shot once I reverse the motion. Maybe it has something to do with the fields, I don't know.

Can anybody help? I really want to reverse the dolly. For sure, the pulldown must be dealt with, in my opinion. Remove it, than apply it again once the clip is reversed?

I would much appreciate a solution to my problem! Thanks!

Mike
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 02:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nobody has any ideas?...
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 02:25 PM   #3
RED Problem Solver

Use G Reverse free plugin from www.nattress.com - it flips the field order to make it smooth.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 03:17 PM   #4
Trustee

I don't know much about this yet as I am only now just beginning to explore this area of dv, but I found out about an app called JES Deinterlacer on this page
http://www.sjoki.uta.fi/%7Eshmhav/SV...Macintosh.html

I saw it initially from a post somewhere regarding techniques to smooth out slo-mo rendered in iMovie and and happened upon a bunch of information this guy has compiled. So far, I haven't had the chance to read most of it, but I did see this info in there and it may or may not be useful to you..I don't know. Here is what the text stated regarding the telecine stuff:

"A telecine is a device that turns 24 fr/sec film into a format suitable for NTSC TV broadcast. From each pair of film frames 5 fields are produced, bumping the frame rate to 30 fr/sec. Inverse telecine restores the original film as a QuickTime movie.
"Telecine mode" in JES Deinterlacer means we don't blend fields but map closest fields/frames. This isn't guaranteed to result in a fixed pattern (like NTSC 3-2 pulldown)."

I guess it can't hurt to check it out and see if it helps with what you want to do. It is a free download.
-Jon
Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Graeme and Jonathan for your advices.

I tried DES with no good results... maybe I'm doing something wrong. I cannot do "reversed telecine" it gives me an error everytime.

I tried your plug-in Graeme and it worked just fine! Thanks! I am exploring your other plug-ins, and I am considering a purchase. Are they resolution independednt? In other words, can i use them with DVCPRO HD footage?

Thanks again, both of you.
Mike
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite