16:9 images to 2.35:1 in FCP5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 7th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #1
Major Player

16:9 images to 2.35:1 in FCP5

How do I convert 16:9 images from my HDV camera into 2:35:1 in Final Cut Pro?

Also, if anyone has an idea to tape the monitor correctly to make sure I don't cut in on an image of 2.35:1? I.e. I am shooting using 16:9 but eventally converting to 2.35:1 and I want to make sure I don't cut in on the image so I need to tape and/or mark the monitor correctly.

Thanks guys...

Duke
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #2
Wrangler

Well you just need to adjust the crop property on the Motion tab in the viewer to produce whatever aspect ratio you like. It's going to be non-standard, so I don't think that matters a lot. After you get something you like then connect your camera to your computer via firewire and put tape on your LCD screen/viewfinder to match the letterbox.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 07:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Well you just need to adjust the crop property on the Motion tab in the viewer to produce whatever aspect ratio you like. It's going to be non-standard, so I don't think that matters a lot. After you get something you like then connect your camera to your computer via firewire and put tape on your LCD screen/viewfinder to match the letterbox.
Thanks, I did fool around with those settings last night, but I thought and hoped that there may be some button or switch to make accurate 2.35:1 from 16:9. I mea there has to be a way to do it.

PS how do I play what's in the computer on my camera to tape the view finder?
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Thanks, I did fool around with those settings last night, but I thought and hoped that there may be some button or switch to make accurate 2.35:1 from 16:9. I mean there has to be a way to do it.
There is. Just apply the "widescreen" filter (in the matte category) and then select 2.35:1.

The best way to do this is to create a new sequence, then drag your edited sequence into it to create a nest. Then apply the widescreen effect to the nested sequence, and you can re-frame shots (if necessary) in the original sequence.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Tim, you rock. I knew there had to be a simpler way. Love those wide screen shots =)

Hey what do you think of the panasonic BT-LH1700W? Check it http://www.panasonic.ca/English/Broa.../btlh1700w.asp

Note the price is in Canadian $. I found one in the US for about $2700. Seems like this is the perfect monitor for my HD100U.

What'd you think?

Duke
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #6
Major Player

Weird.. I never knew Widescreen Matte existed til now. Granted, never really bothered to look. I use After Effects for anything that involved matting or compositing.

Anyway, if anyone finds these useful... I made them back when I was editing under Vegas for a bit (never bothered to check there either :-)

http://www.twodogfilms.com/crops.html

In Final Cut, if they import distored just fix the Distort property under the Motion tab (usually imports at 33.33).
Patrick Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #7
Major Player

Hrm, just played with the Matte a bit. I much prefer my crops. Add the crop to 1 track rather than add per clip. A lot easier to control.

YMMV
Patrick Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:54 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Jenkins
Hrm, just played with the Matte a bit. I much prefer my crops. Add the crop to 1 track rather than add per clip. A lot easier to control.

YMMV
Yeah. Generally I will nest the whole sequence into a new sequence when the cut is locked, and then apply the widescreen filter just once for the whole sequence.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Apple's Compressor

If you're running Final Cut Studio, check out the Compressor app. Not only does it allow you to output a file in any aspect ratio you want, it also allows you to specify where your crops happen (equally from top and bottom, or more or less as demanded by the shot.)

If you're doing a lot of pan and scan type work, this may not be the best place to do it, but if you're simply outputting to tape or media file, then doing the work here, saves you a layer of image processing elsewhere in post (after all, you're just getting rid of information, not transforming existing pixels into something different.

Hope this helps.

A
Alex Bowles is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite