DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   M2T files and Final Cut Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/54124-m2t-files-final-cut-pro.html)

Joe Moulins November 10th, 2005 01:30 AM

M2T files and Final Cut Pro

How can I use these files (from a firestore fs-4 pro HD recorder) in FCP? Sorry if this has come up before, but for some reason I'm unable to search in these forums.

Joe Moulins November 14th, 2005 05:00 PM

Software solution to M2T file question??

Is there a software solution that will convert the Firestore's M2t files into the same quicktime format created when transfering from the Sony Z1U to final cut via firewire?

Tim Dashwood November 15th, 2005 12:38 PM

Yes, use MPEGstreamclip to batch convert m2t to any other quicktime format.
http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html

However, you should be able to just set the Firestore to write Quicktime files, and then you won't have this issue.
I haven't received a FS-4 with the HDV upgrade yet, so I'm not sure if this is still possible with HDV.

Joe Moulins November 16th, 2005 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Yes, use MPEGstreamclip to batch convert m2t to any other quicktime format.
http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html

However, you should be able to just set the Firestore to write Quicktime files, and then you won't have this issue.
I haven't received a FS-4 with the HDV upgrade yet, so I'm not sure if this is still possible with HDV.

There is no quicktime setting for HDV in the firestore, and I understand the streamclip-converted files don't keep their timecode.

Dylan Pank November 19th, 2005 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Moulins
There is no quicktime setting for HDV in the firestore, and I understand the streamclip-converted files don't keep their timecode.

But isn't TC irrelevant with a HD recording device? (That is, unless you're doing multi-cam where the time code is used to sync the different cams). After all you're not going to recapture from tape are you - simply re-transfer/demux the files direct from the disc and re-connect.

Joe Moulins November 22nd, 2005 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Pank
But isn't TC irrelevant with a HD recording device? (That is, unless you're doing multi-cam where the time code is used to sync the different cams). After all you're not going to recapture from tape are you - simply re-transfer/demux the files direct from the disc and re-connect.

Good point, but I'm a little wary about beginning work on a long project without having the safety net of timecode pointing to the backup tapes. - I've been recording to the FS-4, and to mini-dv tapes.

Also, I'm not sure if the missing timecode will lead to problems further along the postproduction road...

Dan Euritt November 22nd, 2005 04:58 PM

timecode is mandatory for when you have to re-import all the footage into the previously-edited project, because it needs to be re-edited.

think about your workflow... i shoot tapeless mode only, then have the fs-4 playback all the clips at once over firewire, recording the output to a tape deck... that way the entire shoot is backed up, and i'd imagine that timecode is written to the tape as part of the lossless recording process.

Tim Dashwood November 23rd, 2005 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Moulins

HDVxDV converted clips now retain the timecode. You can download the free trial to make sure it works for you.

www.hdvxdv.com

Joe Moulins November 24th, 2005 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Euritt

think about your workflow... i shoot tapeless mode only, then have the fs-4 playback all the clips at once over firewire, recording the output to a tape deck... .

Dan, how do you make the FS-4 play back all clips at once? Focus support sent me instructions on how to set up the FS-4 so that FCP sees it as a deck, allowing capture of the files through firewire...works fine except that I can't see a way to capture more than one file at a time, and there doesn't appear to be a way to choose which files you capture. For now, I'd settle for being able to batch capture everything on the hard drive in one go.

Dylan Pank November 25th, 2005 04:47 AM

Batch Add TC http://www.dharmafilm.com/sebskytools/ might be able to add TC to your quicktime files

Dan Euritt November 26th, 2005 03:59 PM

the fs-4 will play 'em all back in a row with the "play all" menu selection, in the fs-4 setup menu... of course i'm talking about using the fs-4 play buttons, not controlling playback with the computer.

when the fs-4 is plugged in to a computer via it's computer i/o port, it's just another hard drive... but if it's plugged into your mac thru it's dv i/o port, it should look and perform like another dv tape deck... pc users cannot do that, because we do not have a winxp software driver for it, so you have an advantage there... i think that it was daniel who suggested in that other thread to simply hit the fs-4 play button, and see if the mac can view the fs-4 output as if it were a live stream from a deck, and capture the footage that way... without issuing any type of control command to the fs-4 from the mac.

that's how i capture all the fs-4 clips at once to dv tape, via the dv i/o port of the fs-4, hooked up to a dv tape deck or camera.

Michael McQueen October 9th, 2006 11:48 AM

sorry to bring up an old topic but i've recently came across this issue as well and with some research i learned that focus has a firmware updater that makes the hdv file quicktime. its $30 on their site.

Matias Baridon July 9th, 2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael McQueen (Post 554842)
sorry to bring up an old topic but i've recently came across this issue as well and with some research i learned that focus has a firmware updater that makes the hdv file quicktime. its $30 on their site.

whats the url to the focus website?

Shaun Roemich July 9th, 2009 12:32 PM

Focus Enhancements

Gary Nattrass July 9th, 2009 06:23 PM

I use this:ClipWrap
And it works as it just re-wraps the files really quickly.