I'm confused, need help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 13th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I'm confused, need help

Ok I shot music video in frame mode with XL1s. I heard this is actually 30p right? Ok in my 29.97 timeline I have interlaced footage. I can see the jagged edges. Does this mean that it is not actually 30p? Do I still need to de-interlace? If so can I convert from frame mode to 24fps?
Danny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Frame mode is not really 30p. It's 60i with a de-interlace filter applied in the camera. This puts a huge hit on your apparent resolution, and de-interlacing again can only increase the softness. Your results would probably not be very good in converting to 24p either. Are you watching on external video? If not then I would look at your footage on a TV or video monitor before you get too concerned.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Zach, so watching on my LCD could be alot different from looking on a NTSC monitor? So I should not see any jagged edges on a NTSC monitor? I even added Nattress de-interlace, so with frame mode there should be no need to add any de-interlace filters?
Danny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #4
Major Player

Watching on your LCD is definitely different from NTSC. Among the differences are color space, pixel shape and scanning method. If you see jagged edges on the NTSC monitor then I might worry. Otherwise you might just be seeing some kind of aliasing effect on the computer monitor.

Whether or not to use the Nattress de-interlace on top of frame mode is a subjective decision. I don't like it because frame mode already makes the picture so soft, but if it looks good on your footage then why not?
Zach Mull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite