Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 30th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Matching Several Brand Displays

Hello,

At the moment I have (with my Apple dual G5) the following several displays:

- Apple Studio Display (DVI-D to my G5)
- Dell 2405 - to the HDLink connected to my Decklink HD
- JVC professional CRT monitor connected to the analog component of my Decklink HD (for simulatneous (downconverted) playback with the Dell)

I would like to match the color on all these displays, to be as close (if not identical) as possible. Ideally, of course, I would set up the CRT monitor using color bars for accurate calibration, then match the other lcd displays to this one. If you cannot match a lcd screen to a crt monitor, at least i'd like to match the apple and the dell together.

Any advice for success?

Thanks.

Last edited by Mike Medavoy; December 1st, 2005 at 12:57 AM.
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #2
Wrangler

Go to System Preferences, click on Displays then click on color. Click the calibrate option and make sure the expert box is checked. This should bring them pretty close. The monitors themselves may have menus you can use to fine tune things further.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I tried that of course, but it doesn't give me 100% satisfying results.

I thought maybe ColorSync - I do not know that utility too well, and i though it maybe has the potential to sync the colors perfectly.

Or an external monitor calibration device? i have no experience with those, either.

it's just that i will want to perform a lot of color correction and it is ESSENTIAL to have all three displays color matched perfectly - if possible.

I know, it's tough - 2 LCDs (different brands) and a CRT...
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 02:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Also, the Dell 2405 seems a bit washed out... I changed the gamma from 1.8 (mac) to 2.2 (TV) and it tools much better -- but I feel there are still adjustments to be made to make the most of it out of this wonderful monitor.

I heard from other people that you do need to tweak a bit the Dell for accurate colors. If other people have more experience calibrating the Dell in particular, I would really appreciate some input!
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite