DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Please Help! iDVD 3 question. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/55348-please-help-idvd-3-question.html)

Rickey Brillantes December 1st, 2005 02:38 PM

Please Help! iDVD 3 question.

Hello everyone!

I just finished editing a funeral video using FCP3, exported it as Final Cut Pro Movie not Quicktime as I think most of you do, I tried exporting it as quicktime but it takes forever.

Now im ready to burn it to DVD using iDVD3 by the way the project is about 60 minutes in length and 14 gig in size. Is that reasonable?

i can drag the movie file unto the iDVD, but when I tried to click the burn button, it gives me this error message.

"Problems found validating your project
A DVD must have one video track or one slideshow"

Can anyone turn me to the right track? Am i doing something wrong?
Appreciate all your help.

thankyou,

Rickey

Jonathan Jones December 1st, 2005 02:56 PM

I'm still too much a newbie in FCP to know much about this, but I do know some things about iDVD, and although it is designed to work well with iMovie, I don't think it will work well with a file exported as a Final Cut Pro movie. I don't know for sure, but I have to assume if it behaves like photoshop with layers, then exporting your movie as a FCP movie allows it to maintain track layers intact for potential later editing in FCP...

iDVD cannot understand this. In iDVD, you must import your movie in one of two ways, and with both, you must first export your FCP movie as a full quality DV file, (60 minutes will be roughly 12 gigs, more if chapter data is embedded). You can drop this dv file into the iDVD window, (I think iDVD will only recognize this file type) in which case if you have any chapter markers, they may be lost,

or to retain chapter marker data you can export it into the same type (full quality DV file - yeah, I know it takes a while), and then import this exported dv file into a new project in iMovie (this will also take awhile (there is a slightly faster way to do this import but it may be complicated to describe as I am not using iMovie 3 - so this is the easy easy)

Once in iMovie, you can then use the iDVD button within iMovie to add chapter markers that will be recognized by iDVD. Then you can press the appropriate button to burn your DVD and iMovie will then activate iDVD so you can work with the menus and make your iDVD project as usual.

Do you happen to have DVD Studio Pro? Although it comes with a much higher learning curve than iDVD, I would think that you wouldn't have to bother with any of these hassles.
-Jon

Rickey Brillantes December 1st, 2005 04:36 PM

Thank you Jon for your reply, yah I guess your right, I should have exported it as a Quicktime not Final Cut Movie, by the way do you have any idea how long the process would be, the file size in Final Cut Pro is like 1.4 Gig, I know upon exporting the file gets bigger like 12 gigs as you have mentioned. So at list I'll have an idea what to expect.

Rickey

Rickey Brillantes December 2nd, 2005 03:47 AM

Hey Jon! finally I figured out that exporting the file to Final Cut Movie works fine, what I did is that I uncheck the self contained and I don't have anymore problem in bringing it in to iDVD, now I have burned the movie and it's awesome.