about to buy new g5 final advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 31st, 2005, 12:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

about to buy new g5 final advice

After many years of faithful service it's time to retire my dual G4 400 as I make the move to HD. I have a dual proc 2.7 on hold at my apple store for $2100 day reason to go with a dual core 2.0 instead? They are about the same in price.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Randall Brown; December 31st, 2005 at 07:58 PM.
Randall Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 01:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Not sure I understand your question...post was garbled a bit. "day reason lo go"?

Anyways, if you're deciding between the Dual 2.7 or the Quad 2.5, I would definitely go with the Quad 2.5. They have made some nice improvements that really increase speed, especially when running multiple app's. The biggest difference besides speed, though? The fans. The Quad 2.5 is MUCH quieter...which is important in an edit suite. Just make sure you know that the Quad is PCI Express cards...if you are using anything with regular PCI cards, they will not work in the Quad.

Either way...buy, buy, buy! My Apple stock is through the roof and I want it to keep going!

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 08:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Got it

Sorry for the garbled message I was using handwriting recognition and it didnt work to well. The question was dual processor 2.07 G5 OR dual CORE 2.0 G5. I ended up with the dual processor 2.7, Radeon 9650, 250gb HD, and 512MB ram (to be upgraded by me), for $1870 including taxes! I'm pretty stoked about it.

I would love the quad but I just couldnt justify the other grand.. Now its time to load up the software!
Old December 31st, 2005, 08:30 PM   #4
Wrangler

I think you'll be pleased with the dual 2.7. I have a dual 2.5 and it's been great. Of course, faster is better, but this system meets my current needs and in another year or two I'll be ready to see what the Intel Macs offer :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 10:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

problems

Of course with all the excitement I run into problems. When i first plugged up the computer, it obviously checked for updates, and found a ton. So I let it install them, BIG mistake! Looks like the 10.4.3 update corrupted the system folder!

This blows up chunks, so i figure I would just do a clean install. DOH the restore discs arent in the box.. This sucks. Tommorrow AM back to the apple store to get the discs...

Now I have a nice shiny G5 just sitting here, and back working on old faithful..
Old December 31st, 2005, 11:20 PM   #6
Major Player

Randall...not sure what's up with your system. I have NEVER had a problem with the Software Update function corrupting anything, so something may indeed be up with your computer. I'm not sure whey you woudn't have the disks. VERY strange. Did you get a refurb or something unusual?

Well...good luck. Let me know if you have questions.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2006, 09:43 AM   #7
Wrangler

Same thing here. I recently updated to the newest 10.4 without any problems. And not having the disks in the box is very odd. If it was a used or demo machine then there was probably something strange in the original setup. Reformat the drive, re-install everything, and you should be good to go (unless some hardware issue is causing your troubles).
Old January 1st, 2006, 11:52 AM   #8

No probs here with 10.4.3 either

Just wanted to let you know I have not experienced any problems with the 10.4.3 update on my dual 2.7. Just letting as this info may help you diagnose the prob with the guys at the Apple Store.
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:08 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Back up and installing

Yes its a refurb, so the person who restored it was careless with putting the discs back in the box. Went back to the Apple store this morning, and they were REALLY cool about it. Gave me the restore DVD's and threw in another DVI to VGA adapter that I needed for free. Really apologetic.

It has restored without issue and I am updating and installing my software now. The tech there thinks the issue was the downloaded update, and that they have seen it hang in the end stages and corrupt the system folder, for safe measure he recommended i download it to disk seperate from software update and run it from there instead of from software update.

Just in case he put aside a new 250GB disk for me in case there is something wrong with the drive, but he doubts it and so do it since I could get to the drive via target mode and browse the files without issue.

I'll report back once everything is done. I am super pscyhed to play with this thing, but it also makes me thankful for my tried and true G4 rig.
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:14 PM   #10

Good to hear. My experience at the Genius Bar at the Apple Store in my area was good as well.
Old January 1st, 2006, 03:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew

all is well

Just to close the loop. All the software is updated and installed and the system is running well!

Its noticebly faster than the G4 DUH, now I am going to put some HD in it, and see how it likes it, but overall very pleased. I just wish it had more firewire and USB ports...
Old January 1st, 2006, 03:52 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Brown
I just wish it had more firewire and USB ports...
One thing to keep in mind... all Macs only have one internal firewire bus, regardless of how many physical connectors they offer. In fact, both firewire 400 and 800 share the same bus. You can add a card if you want additional ports on a separate bus. Personally, I've never had problems connecting multiple devices on my G5 but others have reported them - especially when Canon camcorders are involved.

Enjoy the new system! I upgraded from a single G4/1.25ghz a year ago. Some quick tests showed my dual 2.5 G5 was about 3x faster. :-)
Old January 1st, 2006, 11:15 PM   #13
Trustee

I had a corrupted folder from software update once, seems that if you download multiple things that require a restart then occasionally it will go ahead and try to restart without the other being finished and you end up with a corrupted system folder, that being said, you could always boot from target mode and run disk utility from your "old faithful" g4. Obviously this is of no use to you know but in the future someone may be able to use it. ;) Enjoy your new awesome computer I'm jealous.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite