Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 18th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #166
Major Player

Audio peaks in FCP takes a looong time to build

Hi there,

For some reasons the audio peaks in my current projects takes an awful long time to build. Granted the project is is 50 minutes long all in one take but the peaks will constantly build and rebuild.

I am pretty green in àFCP so please be gentle

Thanks
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #167
Regular Crew

Storing Video footage for project collaboration?

I'm a little courious about what would be the best way to store video for collaboration. Here is the situation we have now.

Let's say that we had captured just regular DV footage of an event and we have to use two DVD's to put all the video of the day on there. The video files are stored on an external firewire hard drive. One person is working on getting the video edited for disk one, however, if the other person wants to work at the same time on another station to get the video edited for disk two, they can't edit the video stored on the external hard drive over the network, because whenever this happens, both computers bog down whenever they try to scrub through the video in FCP. I'm wondering what the bottleneck is, and what we can do to solve this problem. Both computers are relativly fast, such as a PowerMac G5 and a MacBook Pro.

We've tried to see if the problem is just the firewire vs 10/100 ethernet, but we hooked up both computers using Gigabit, and this doesn't solve the problem, so perhaps the problem is the fact that the hard drive in the firewire enclosure is only a PATA hard drive. However, even if we went to a SATA enclosure, the bottleneck would still be the firewire connection.

So, I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of one place to store all of our video that is both fast enough for two editors to be editing the same video at the same time. I started thinking that maybe we could have a computer with several hard drives set up in a RAID 0 configuration for high speed access, but I really want some kind of redundancy (especially after having to use external firewire hard drives to store the video), so I'd really like to have some kind of RAID 5 setup.

Then I started thinking that maybe we would have one server that had several hard drives that were setup in a RAID 0 configuration, and this would be the computer that the editors would look at to get their footage, and then an identical computer that was set up in a RAID 5 configuration as a mirror for all of the video files and project files. Like have them both run linux and run a file mirroring script to update the files whenever a file is changed. But that would still be out of our budget.

I'm just thinking out loud, but what we don't have a budget for a rack mounted video storage solution, so that's why I was trying to figure out what would be the best way to store the video that is both fast and secure.

How do you guys store your video when collaborating on a project?
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #168
Regular Crew

JVC SR-DVM70 Deck???

Does anyone have any experience using this deck? I would be using it with FCP on a apple. Thanks
Jim Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 01:27 AM   #169
Trustee

RAID Setup

I just took delivery on my new Mac Pro, very sexy.

I have an additional TB of internal storage that I want to RAID, one of the options in disk utilities is how big to set the block size, 32, 64, 128 etc.

What block size gives the best performance for uncompressed SD and DVCProHD?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite