Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 20th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Black line at top of image?

Hi,

I recently purchased an fx1 and FCE HD and ran into a problem with a thin black line showing at the top of the screen. At first I thought it was an fx1 issue (and posted the question on that forum) but now I'm thinking it might be an FCE HD issue...so here I am.

Here's what I know:

1) A think black line appears (top edge) on my videos when shooting in HDV and downconverting to DV in-camera.

2) Changing steadishot settings and on/off has no effect.

3) The black line is visible on playback from within FCE, so it is not a QT conversion issue.

4) Here's what leads me to this forum: I experimented by shooting a white wall in HDV and importing it as HDV into my slow ibook (not a process for real work!). At first the black line was clearly visible on playback. But then I moved the head marker to an arbitrary point near the beginning and the black line vanished--I converted to Quicktime and that is o.k., too.

I'm going to experiment some more--I'm posting this hoping that the problem will sound familiar and someone can point out the solution (or lack of one).

Thanks!

--Darin
Darin Boville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 06:33 AM   #47
Major Player

After effects, and FCP Sony HDV?

I have after effects 5.5, Does anyone happen to know the best compisition and export settings to import into FCP 5 for use with Sony HDV video?
Thanks!
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:28 AM   #48
Regular Crew

quicktime capture error...

i just tried to capture footage via a sony trv 900 camera(final cut express) and here 's the message i get:
"an error occured while configuring wuicktime using the current capture preset. please quit final cut express and check your hardware configuration"
no later than yesterday i was still capturing with that deck and it worked well, any idea what could be wrong?
Yohann Kouam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:55 AM   #49

Mercedes, HD & Apple FCP

I did a search and did not see any mention on this in the forums so I wanted to post a link -

Mercedes-Benz USA
High Performance in High Definition

http://www.apple.com/pro/video/mbusa/index.html

Interesting excerpt from the article -

“We generally shoot two days per vehicle to acquire the running footage and then maybe another day or two dedicated to lifestyle shots, scenarios of how the car will be used,” says Campbell.

From these shoots, the crew amassed 10 hours of footage, most shot at 720p at 24fps (the aerial was 1080p), from which they, using Final Cut Pro, created “digital signage” for a launch event and press presentations.
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #50
Major Player

FCP NAB Promo Material

It looks like Apple has put up some new promotional material at its Web site for NAB 2006, at least to judge from this link:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/...06_reel01_h640

Note "nab06"

I would love to know what camera they used to shoot the stories about FCP users. Some of the material is just stunning -- take a look at the piece on the BBC. Can someone who is at the NAB show kindly ask the Apple folks.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #51
New Boot

Black Frames In Exported Movie

I am Exporting my Final project shot in 24p with the 2:3:3:2 removal.
When i export an uncompressed movie, there is a black frame in between every cut. Can anyone explain? What is the best codec to export? This project will be burned to DVD. Maybe film(hence pulldown).
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #52
Major Player

Rendering 4:2:2 MPEG 2 in FCP5

Is there any way to render in 4:2:2 Profile MPEG 2 from FCP and/or compressor, or do I need some seperate plugin? I can't seem to find a way to change the profile...
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #53
Major Player

native HDV 24p 25p support for the HD100??

I've been really busy lately with work and I've been trying to follow the news from NAB about native HD100 support for HDV 25p and 24p in FCP.I did a quick search and have read a few threads but there is no single answer.

From what I can gather from various threads:

1)there is still no native HD100 support for HDV 25p 24p in fcp at this time
2)At NAB they had an example of fcp capturing HDV 24p from an hd100 as a preview of a future release (which i assume will also mean 25p support).
3)There should be a release soon.

As I said i've not had alot of time to read up on this stuff so if any of the information above is wrong let me know and if there is any other information anyone would like to add please do.

Andy.
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Quicktime Brightness & Contrast Rendering Issue in FCP 4.5

When I apply Quicktime Brightness & Contrast with or without other filters it SOMETIMES but often has an odd color flux for about 3 or so frames.

Even after rendering it is still there.

Thanks.
Michael Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #55
Regular Crew

Trouble exporting sequence in Final Cut Pro

When I export the movie from Final Cut doing the standard Quicktime movie link, it drops some of the audio halfway through the music?? I look at the sequence and everything seems fine, it plays fine?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Josh Woll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:08 AM   #56
Tourist

24P 30P 60i

Had a client give me a mini DV tape, it had been recorded with
all 3 settings, 24P, 30P, and 60i. Did not have any timecode notes on when
the rate changes took place. I am cutting the video on FCP 5. Desiring a
24P look. How should I capture this tape and make it all work. There will be talking heads in parts of the video.

Please advise...

Bill
Bill Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:41 PM   #57
Trustee

TASCAM US428 + Final Cut Pro 5

Has anyone been able to get the tascam us428 control surface to run the sliders in the mixer in FCP?
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #58
Wrangler

Apple recalls batteries from some early MacBook Pro models

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/05/...attery.recall/

Quote:
The problem appears to affect MacBook Pro models with serial numbers up to W8608, meaning that only the first two weeks of MacBook Pros produced are potentially affected, according to one report.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #59
Major Player

Wacky effect on conforming to 23.98 HD

I have taken some footage from a low budget feature shot on Canon XL H1 at 24f and digitized it under DVCProHD 1080i via the SDI output. It looks fine, but I have to deliver a 23.98 finished product.

I exported it to Quicktime.

The I put it through Cinema Tools and did reverse pulldown to 23.98.

I re-imported it into FCP into a 23.98 timeline and rendered.

Now everything is fine timing and pulldown-wise --- except that I have a light blue bar running around the Canvas frame on my computer monitor - and this line chops off a little of the right hand side of the image ---

and on my monitor screen (via blackmagic to Dell 24") there is a one inch black line running down the right hand side.

This has the general effect of squishing the image laterally very slightly on the Dell monitor.

What on earth have I done? What is this blue frame outline in the canvas?

Many thanks for any ideas.

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #60
Major Player

TASCAM HD-P2 with FCP

I can't decide whether this goes here or in the sound thread but as it's really an FCP related problem I decided to put it here. The moderators may move it at their discretion.

The TASCAM HD-P2 is a fine machine but it produces BWF files. These are .wav files with an extension, the bext chunk, which contains meta data including the time code which stamps the beginning of the take. FCP will open the files and find the audio but doesn't extract the bext data so time code is lost. There are software tools which supposedly do this for you producing QT .mov files with timecode tracks but some of them don't work. Correspondence with the developer of one of these pointed to the fact that the TASCAM implementation of the bext chunk is not standard. Indeed there are 20 extra 0 bytes between the end od the 'Identifier' field and before the start of the creation date/time group. Sebsky tools bwf2qt does properly produce these files but has not been updated in over a year.

So the questions are: "Is anyone using an HD-P2?" and, if so, "How are you getting timecode?"
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite