DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 26th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #76
Major Player

Using AIC to capture HDV-SD60p

I shot a huge even last week using my HD100 and the HDV-SD60p format.
I thought maybe I could use AVCVideoCap to capture it has been nothing but terrible. Now I tried to do something different:

I captured my HDV-SD60p via AIC and guess what! it worked, the images were working and sound was fine!

I double clicked on the file in FCP and the viewer showed the footage. BUT and a VERY BIG BUT, when I tried puting the footage in the sequence timeline, nothing! just green. I tried several different Sequence formats, from DV to DVCPROHD 720/30 and AIC and HDV 720/30.

My question is that if the footage can be shown on the viewer window then isn't there a way to put it on a sequence timeline?
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Can't open HD project in FCP!

So I'm editing this short film and cut together about 3:30 minutes worth of footage last night. I'm working with footage that I have been importing off an external harddrive and I have my capture scratch on a second external harddrive.

Everything was going fine until I closed the project out for the night and now I can't open it up. It will start to open or "load" the project until it gets to about 50% and then it just shuts down and a window comes up saying "Final Cut Pro has quit unexpectedly". Also, when I click to open the project, my computer gets REAL loud. You can hear the fans inside the computer kick into overdrive.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I'm working with a 1.6 GHz PowerPC G5 with 512 MB of memory

Last edited by Jeff Ray; May 26th, 2006 at 05:21 PM.
Jeff Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #78
Regular Crew

Please tell me it isn't true!

Hey guys, please read the embedded email exchange and tell me if Tom is right. Thanks

Chuck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's 24p advanced. That cannot be imported correctly into FCE. It needs to be imported with advanced pulldown removal and is designed for editing in a 23.987 sequence, which FCE cannot do.

On May 29, 2006, at 8:01 AM, Harambe823@aol.com wrote:

Tom, how do I set up my FCE settings to import video shot in 16:9/ 24p with my Canon XL2? I went into Easy Setup and I note 'DV-NTSC' and 'DV-NTSC Anamorphic.'

My camera (as you probably already know) is designed to shoot 16:9 and in fact, I'm told, it is preferred that people shoot 16:9, because the video is better. Then the image is cropped at 4:3, if that is your preference for conventional TV screens.

The FCE Help section alludes to 'Anamorphic' but I believe the instructions are geared toward people with Anamorphic converters. I'm confused.

Please tell me what setting I should use to import my video into FCE with the format I shot it in -- that is 16:9, 24p 2:3:3:2. Also, I used 16 bit audio. Thank you so much for your help.

Chuck

PS: I have your book, 'Editing Workshop.' Nice work.

=
Charles Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #79
Major Player

Escape problems

Hi Guys,

Anybody had this problem? When pulling in HDV native, when I press the escape key to stop capture, nothing happens. Only way I can get it to quit is to stop or turn off the deck. Done the preferences thing, even reinstalled FCP5.
(Help...)
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 12:24 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Best place to rent a BetaSP deck in Los Angeles?

Hi Everyone,

I need to rent a BetaSP deck for one to three days (perhaps for a weekend rate) so taht I can import some BetaSP footage through my Kona LHe card into Final Cut Pro.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to a good equipment rental house in the Hollywood /Los Angeles area, as well as an estimate for a day/ weekend rate?

I assume that all of the cables (to hook up to the Kona) will be included in the Deck rental.

Thank you for your recommendations.

I may need the deck as early as tomorrow (for the weekend rate).

Khashyar
Khashyar Darvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 11:41 AM   #81
Major Player

HDV on an iMac g5, setup help

I am trying to edit hdv from an fx1 on an imac G5, 2.1Ghz with 2.5gb ram. Latest OS, project files and media on external fw drive. It seems like I get the dreaded message that says I need to upgrade my system and hard drive speed everytime I press play (maybe I just need to shut that thing off!). I used easy setup to get my project and sequence settings for hdv and checking the imported clips they say they are hdv 1440 so I don't think it's an AIC problem. Anyone using an iMac G5 can you tell me your settings so I can compare? Thanks!

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #82
Major Player

Workflow for capturing canon 24f in final Cut pro

I have been struggling with FCP capture of 24f Canon footage and, due to enormous help from people on various bulletin boards such as Barlow Elton and Greg Huson, have now got a workflow for which I have sweated blood.

I am using a Blackmagic Decklink HD Pro and Mac G5 dual 2 gig.

It's a bit wierd, but here goes:

1. SDI from camera to B/M card. (By the way, that's the BNC connector on the extreme right if you're facing the rear of your computer).

2. In FCP Set "EASY SETUP" for "B/M 59.95 1080i DVCPro HD". You may need to download this from the B/M site.

3. Go to " Audio/Video Settings" in FCP and toggle "Audio Playback" to "Built in Audio".

4. Now go to Capture presets (also in A/V settings) and check that you have the correct setting (B/M HDTV 1080i 59.94 DVCProHD).

5. See the "Edit" box, below. Hit that. See "Quicktime Audio Settings". Make sure that this says "Built in Audio" and "Line In". Don't change anything else. Hit OK.

6. Connect Audio from camera RCA outputs to Mac mini jack input.

7. In FCP go to LOG and CAPTURE screen. In CLIP SETTINGS, make sure to tick the little Preview box. Capture settings should be "Non controllable device" and B/M HDTV 59.94 DVCPro HD

8. Capture your material. You will probably NOT see it on your computer monitor, but should see it on your external one. You should be hearing your sound. And for goodness sake capture to your internal drive. I thought my G-Raid 1TB would be fast enough, but I struggled with dropped frames which screw up the frame cadence, or whatever it's called … so don't try that.

9. . Get hold of MPEG Streamclip. You probably know that this is a free App from Apple. Open your captured video and audio file. The sound capture is usually about 4 frames off in my case, but consistent.

It is now critical to set your "In" point to the first frame after the two interlaced frames. Last frame doesn't matter.

10. Go to "Export to Quicktime"

Settings as follows:

Compression: Apple DVC Pro HD 1080i50. (I know - but it works this way)

Raise Quality to 100%

Type into the FRAME RATE box: 23.976.

Frame size 1920x1080 unscaled

Check "deinterlace"

11. Go to "Adjustments" and raise sound level to maximum.

12. Hit "Make movie"

I suggest that you save this new file to your external drive. Later, you can trash your original capture and free up your internal disk space.

13. Wait forever.

It takes about 2.5 x real time. It uses about I gig per minute of drive space.

14. Open FCP and create an HDTV 1080i 59.94 DVCPRO HD sequence and drag your newly created file into it. I find that to re-sync the sound, I have to advance the sound by 4 or 5 frames.

Voila! You will find, to your astonishment that you have created a 24fps timeline and your movie is playing at 24 progressive. I know that some of these steps seem to counterindicate a 24p result and appear contrary to any logic. But for some reason that perhaps someone else can explain, it does work.

Incidentally, I have tried many variations on this, including a variation on the last step which is to make a 24p sequence, but for some strange reason my monitor then gives a picture which is very slightly squeezed and has a thin black line running down the right hand side of frame.

I hope I haven't made any mistakes here.

Please let me know if this works for you.

I am able to do a whole roll (1 Hour) at a time using this method. As you may have discovered, C-Tools doesn't accept large files which makes it useless.

Don't forget to email me with your results, if any at harry323@pacbell.net

Best wishes.

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #83
Tourist

capturing 720 24p footage from JVC HD100UA into FCP 4.5

Hi,

I soon might be able to borrow a friend's PowerMac G5 into which I will transfer my Lumiere hd software. My question is: has anybody in this forum be able to capture footage shot with the above mentioned camcorder and the above mentioned frames using Lumiere HD and a Powermac G5? If so, have you encountered any problems or were you succesful?
I know that that computer has for sure FCP 4.5, not sure if it has FC Studio 5 (might).

I am asking this forum because sometimes the Lumiere people are slow to answer and a bit optimistic.

thanks a lot

Cecilia
Cecilia Galiena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #84
New Boot

FCP project upgrade (4.5 to 5.04) and firewire transfer causing strobing

Hey everyone, i edited some HDV footage (captured as DV) on my powerbook with 4.5. I was planning to do grading/effects/de-interlacing on a much faster powermac G5. I transferred the entire project over to the tower via firewire. When i open the project in 5.04 on the G5 i select 'update project' (it can't be opened otherwise i assume?). When i do this all of the footage becomes choppy. It looks kind of like a slow frame rate, or some ugly strobe effect. I know it's not just a playback issue cause i exported a dv movie and the resulting file still had the ugly strobing.

Now the way i see it the problem can only be either:

A. the firewire transfer
or
B. the project update

anybody have any experience with this kind of issue?
Luca F Lucarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Little Green Line At Bottom Of Screen

I've shot footage with a Canon XL-2 in 16:9 with 24p.

I capture the footage in 16:9, then drop the footage into a standard 4:3 sequence.

When I cut a clip, then the second half of that clip I slow down to maybe 50/60%, when the regular speed first half clip hits the slower second half speed clip, that one frame causes a little neon green bar to appear and I can't get rid of it.

Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone have an answer for correcting this issue?

Thank you so much!

Josh Woll
Josh Woll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #86
Regular Crew

interlaced image after mpeg2...

I'm having problems with the video clip after I exported it from FCP to DVD pro
using fcp's compressor. The mpeg2 compressed image is sevrely interlased on dvd, although it seems fine in FCP.
Does anybody know what the solution might be?
Thanks
Vic
Victor Burdiladze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:18 AM   #87
Tourist

PCI-E FireWire 800Card

Hello All. This is one of my first posts if not the first. I just wanted to say thanks for all the unsolicited (sp) help I have recieved from this forum in the past.

Current specs ( for some background )
Dual Core 2.3
4 gig ram
Decklink card
HDLink
30'' cinema
23'' cinema
2 - 250 gig internals
FCP HD
Adobe CS
**various other goodies as well :)

However, I am purchasing a 1tb external promax HD ( set to raid 1 ). My issue is I plumb out of FireWire ports. Does anyone have any input or suggestions on a firewire PCI-e card for this machine and this drive? Also, could anyone school me on the different PCI-e slot speeds in my machine.

Thanks,
Dave
David Wesselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #88
New Boot

Variable Speed footage from P2 in FCP5

Hi everyone

New to this forum, and have some questions.
Are there any issues importing and editing off-speed/variable speed footage from the HVX PAL version in FCP5?
Any feed back would be much appreciated!

cheers
ys
Cheong Ying Sien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 05:23 AM   #89
New Boot

FCP / Magic Bullet codec help please

Hey all. Just struggling a bit trying to wrap my head around the best codec to export a project with. It's a DV PAL edit that I'm planning to put through Magic Bullet in After Effects. After it's been de-interlaced I'd like to bring it backi into Final Cut to do some titling and effects. It will be printed to a mini-DV master for broadcast. What codec should I use? Someone told me uncompressed but that seems like it's just adding data. Any thoughts? Should I be using compressor?
Luca F Lucarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #90
Major Player

working

I've been working in my Final Cut Pro for about 8months now.

First I started off using Motion to do my titles and such, but
without the rest settings I'd get a bit of pixelation... recently I figured
a way around that.

As of recent I've just typed my text in photoshop and save as a PNG.
I start to import and ad various elements to my bin, then the question
came am I doing things the right way?

I often render while I cut and move along my timeline
so as to see what things look like before I finish?

Is that also wrong?
Dante Waters is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite