upgrading to FCP 5 - upgrade to OSX 10.4 needed as well? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 8th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

upgrading to FCP 5 - upgrade to OSX 10.4 needed as well?

Hello

I'm currently running FCP 4.5 on OSX 10.3.9. I am about to order the upgrade to FCP 5 but I was wondering if I also need to upgrade the OS as well. 10.3.9 is running like a dream, and I've read some negative reports about 10.4.
I know the specs for FCP5 say it runs on 10.3.9, but am I missing out on anything if I don't upgrade the OS? I'm inclined not to.
Thanks in advance,
Michiel
Michiel van der Zeeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #2
Wrangler

I gather that it works, although people initially had some problems. Hopefully they've been fixed with incremental updates. You do need QT7 however, and when you install FCP5 it will replace QT6 with QT7 pro.

I upgraded to FCP5 not long ago, and went to MacOSX 10.4 at the same time. It was really pretty painless. There may still be a rendering glitch in one of my high end 3d programs, but that was pretty much the only problem I remember. However I cloned my boot drive and then reformatted and did a clean install of 10.4 for starters. Then I let OSX migrate all my files from the clone drive as part of the install. The final step was installing FCP5.

I am generally like you though, I don't like to fix stuff that ain't broke, so I'm usually about a year behind in operating system updates. But in this case I just thought it made sense to be on the latest OS to avoid any possible incompatibilities down the road. 10.3.9 has been called "bastard child" by some people since it contains parts of 10.4 and is known to be problematic with some applications.

You might seek additional input from Apple's FCP support forum before making a final decision:

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=939
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #3
Major Player

10.3.9 and QT 7 or later. I ran FCP 5 before upgrading to Tiger with no problems.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite