DV Info Net

DV Info Net (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   And so it begins... (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/57971-so-begins.html)

Nate Schmidt January 10th, 2006 01:10 PM

And so it begins...
 
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

John Christensen January 10th, 2006 01:30 PM

Ya Man, its finally here!!! Does anyone know if there is a verson of Final Cut Pro 5 for the Intel Mac?

Riley Harmon January 10th, 2006 02:02 PM

Argh...nothing pisses me off more than buying a powerbook 6months ago and now 4x faster..But alas...thats technology for you. :-(

Ari Shomair January 10th, 2006 02:34 PM

Here's a question: Let's say I am an Avid editor, and Xpress Pro is available on both Mac and PC. What advantage is there to pay the premium of buying a powerbook now (assuming you are indifferent to Windows/Linux/MacOS) when incredibly similar techincal specs can be found in Lenovo's new T series laptops?

...Although I would like a new type of power connector :)

Jason Lowe January 10th, 2006 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Christensen
Ya Man, its finally here!!! Does anyone know if there is a verson of Final Cut Pro 5 for the Intel Mac?

A universal binary upgrade disc will be available in March for a nominal ($49) fee. Should be free, but you know how cash strapped Apple is.

These new laptops look great though.

Edwin Huang January 10th, 2006 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ari Shomair
Here's a question: Let's say I am an Avid editor, and Xpress Pro is available on both Mac and PC. What advantage is there to pay the premium of buying a powerbook now (assuming you are indifferent to Windows/Linux/MacOS) when incredibly similar techincal specs can be found in Lenovo's new T series laptops?

...Although I would like a new type of power connector :)

Flexibility.

Downside to the new Mac Book Pro is that it only has ONE FW400 port and no FW800 ports. Someone at Apple should be flogged. Twice.

However, buying it would give your incredible lattitude in being able to run multiple OS's and multiple editing solutions (though I think you'll run out of harddrive space for the piggy piggy programs).

Depending on what your final audience is - I'm in industrial video and CBT - this is incredibly useful for me in testing cd/dvd/ and web delivery.

Jason Lowe January 10th, 2006 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwin Huang
Flexibility.

Downside to the new Mac Book Pro is that it only has ONE FW400 port and no FW800 ports. Someone at Apple should be flogged. Twice.

However, buying it would give your incredible lattitude in being able to run multiple OS's and multiple editing solutions (though I think you'll run out of harddrive space for the piggy piggy programs).

Depending on what your final audience is - I'm in industrial video and CBT - this is incredibly useful for me in testing cd/dvd/ and web delivery.

How many firewire ports did any previous powerbook have? Lack of FW ports is something they should have been flogged for a long time ago. At least they ditched the 56k modem.

Has the dual booting thing been confirmed? Steve said 6 months ago they would not actively disuade or support installing a non apple OS on an intel mac, but I won't be surprised if it won't install anything but OS X.4.4 or above.

Boyd Ostroff January 10th, 2006 05:16 PM

The old powerbooks had a firewire 400 and 800 port, but they both shared the same bus. Personally I have never felt the need for firewire 800, never had any problems editing on FW400 drives. However I did get a $40 FW400 PC card so I could get a little better throughput when copying between drives. I imaging that FW800 cards are relatively inexpensive as well.

Jason Lowe January 10th, 2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
The old powerbooks had a firewire 400 and 800 port, but they both shared the same bus. Personally I have never felt the need for firewire 800, never had any problems editing on FW400 drives. However I did get a $40 FW400 PC card so I could get a little better throughput when copying between drives. I imaging that FW800 cards are relatively inexpensive as well.

Remember, though, the macbook uses the new Express Card slot (the PC card equivalent of PCI Express), so it may take a little while for them to reach the market.

If these things will actually dual boot OS X and XP, they're going to really rock.

Edwin Huang January 10th, 2006 05:30 PM

I like to do a 'capture now' from a video camera to the firewire drive attached to my powerbook in lock down event situations. Too frugal too spend money on a firestore, I suppose.

I *like* modems. They can be really useful if you're not in cellphone/wifi range in the field. Oh, well my 1.25 G albook will have to last me another 9 months or so, I guess.

Kevin James January 10th, 2006 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Lowe
Remember, though, the macbook uses the new Express Card slot (the PC card equivalent of PCI Express), so it may take a little while for them to reach the market.

If these things will actually dual boot OS X and XP, they're going to really rock.

My thoughts exactly.....Vegas and Motion on the same machine.........heaven.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network