Standards Conversion with MPEG Streamclip 1.5.1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 11th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Standards Conversion with MPEG Streamclip 1.5.1

Has anyone ever tried to convert PAL DV to NTSC DV (or vice versa) with MPEG Streamclip 1.5.1 (http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html)?

If so, care to share any experiences? If not, is there anyone competent here that can evaluate this software?

http://advaloreminternational.com
Victor Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 05:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I did a PAL DV to NTSC DV conversion of a 52-minute movie and a 90-second trailer. The results look great!

Victor Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Major Player

I just got turned onto the software the other day(2 hours too late) and I have to say I'm a Big fan. Anyone that uses final cut should have this goody in their toolbox. I spent an hour trying to import an mpeg into fcp. The image looked fine but there was no audio. I tried using quicktime to export it as a different format and still no audio. I ended up recording it via decklink to DVCAM and recapturing it, Lame. Another thing thats nice about this software is that it actually lets you edit mpeg files before you export them. The in and out points automatically move to the nearest I frame so you need to leave nice handles but it will save some major time if you only need 1 minute from a 10 minute mpeg.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #4
Major Player

I agree with Jason. I love MPEG Streamclip! It's fantastic for recovering footage from DVDs if you no longer have your capture scratch and I've been using it lately for converting movies for iPod use.
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, apparently, this tool is much more than a method for taking footage from DVDs. It can convert between PAL and NTSC DV... something that has always been a PITA and expensive to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Varner
I just got turned onto the software the other day(2 hours too late) and I have to say I'm a Big fan. Anyone that uses final cut should have this goody in their toolbox. I spent an hour trying to import an mpeg into fcp. The image looked fine but there was no audio. I tried using quicktime to export it as a different format and still no audio. I ended up recording it via decklink to DVCAM and recapturing it, Lame. Another thing thats nice about this software is that it actually lets you edit mpeg files before you export them. The in and out points automatically move to the nearest I frame so you need to leave nice handles but it will save some major time if you only need 1 minute from a 10 minute mpeg.

Victor Muh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite