Recommended HardDisk Arrays for HD Projects? Firmtek? MiniG? Etc...??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 11th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recommended HardDisk Arrays for HD Projects? Firmtek? MiniG? Etc...???

I'm looking into a firmtek enclosure/controller combo to give myself nearly 3.6TB of data for an HD Online Project I'm working on. The project will be comprised of approximately 4 hours of HDCAM footage.

I've heard good things about the firmtek, but always appreciate more input on other's experiences...

thanks in advance!
Basem Elsokary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

eSATA new

check out the new eSATA 5 bay Burly enclosure & Seritek card on macgurus, and same card with i think it's called Fusion enclosure.
Chris Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You might want to take a look at Mike Curtis' website, hdforindies.com.

He tests and posts links to other tests regarding hardware for HD production. A lot of in-depth information and analysis can be found there.

Another good site: barefeats.com. Also a lot of real test data on systems and hard drives.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Firm Recommendation for FirmTec

I recently had a very positive experience with FirmTek. George Rath, the developer went out of his way to help me and accomplished things that many said was impossible.

To make a long story short, I bought a four drive RAID 0 from a guy who stripped it for me. After capturing 45 hours of footage and editing about a third of a TV show, the RAID disappeared from my desktop. Apparently one of the drives had developed a problem. I spent 24 hours trying to fix it. Nearly everyone advised me that if one drive failed I would lose all data. George didn't think so. He felt the data was in tack that it was just the partition on one drive was corrupted. I sent the drives to him, he found that they had been improperly striped yet he salvaged all data. Saving me 45 hours of recapturing and many hours of re-editing.

I am now buying 4 more drives and enclosures from him so i that I can back up on a regular basis. It is rare in this day and age to have someone stand behind his products and go the extra mile that FirmTec did. There tech support people worked with me well past their normal hours. I can't say enough good things about them.

I highly recommend them. Just be sure that whoever stripes your drives and sets them up does it correctly.

Mickey Stroud
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Stroud
I recently had a very positive experience with FirmTek. George Rath, the developer went out of his way to help me and accomplished things that many said was impossible.
Ah yes, the Rath of Firmtek...

... couldn't resist that one!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite