Best Method for Giving 30 hrs of Footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 15th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Method for Giving 30 hrs of Footage?

Let me know if there is a better forum for this. I'm going on it being a post question, and I edit on a Mac.

Problem is, the company I'm going to license 30 hrs of footage to edits with Avid.

What's the best way for me to give them the footage, while I retain the original?

Copy my original 30 miniDVs to miniDV? If so, what's the best way to do that? I don't have a deck, should I get one? Also, I've read about using cheap miniDV cameras as decks. Are there no quality differences on the record heads when you use cheap equipment that way?
Sam Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Either get a deck or an inexpensive Mini Dv camera and use the Print to Tape function in FCP via FW. DV is DV so it won't matter what kind of system the dubs will end up on. The quality will be the same since it's a direct transfer of data.

If you plan to do a lot of dubbing, a deck or second camera would be a good investment. Otherwise using your camera is fine.

Another option is to see if the client or person you are giving the footage to, has a FW hard drive they can ship you. For 13 hours of DV you'll need 390 gigs. You can then just capture to that drive or transfer the capture scratch on your drive to it.
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Record heads? What was I thinking? Magnet tape evidently.

Thanks for your tips Dave. I think I'll try the hard drive route. And buy a cheap miniDV camera.
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Note: FCP files will not transfer directly to AVID. Different codecs. Avid edits with OMFI files.

Best bet is the straight DV method. Just capture as DV tapes, or DVCAM if you have a deck, hand them the tapes and they can digitize into AVID. Otherwise, store as quicktime files, they can be imported directly into Avid.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Richard, can you help me with a little more detail? Can you walk me through the process, starting with a freshly shot miniDV tape that I haven't captured yet?

Let's say I buy a cheap miniDV camera to serve as a deck. Where do I go from there?
Old January 15th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Richard,

I was not aware that the captured files from FCP would not work in an Avid. I thought FW capture of DV footage would remain standard DV footage rather than become proprietary.

Sam,

If you get a deck with FW or a Mini DV camera, you would just use a FW cable connected camera to camera and not even use the Mac.
Old January 15th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Sam,
My advice would be to simply copy the tapes, and hand them over to the AVID editors to work with. So you will need a second camera or a deck, connect via firewire from one cam to the other, and 'dub'.

Avid puts its files in OMFI wrappers, and material imported from another NLE will have to be 'rewrapped' upon import. The simplest way to do this is to hand them the files as quicktime files.

To transfer projects AND files between FCP and Avid, look for "Automatic Duck", it's a translating/trasferring software.

http://www.automaticduck.com/products/pefcp/
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you both. I'll give that a whirl.
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Preserving Timecode

When I dub from camera to camera or deck to camera (or camera to deck?) is the original timecode preserved?

Nevermind, I just found the threads on The Thin Black Line.

Last edited by Sam Shore; January 18th, 2006 at 11:43 AM.
Sam Shore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite