DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   A good way to find your stolen Powerbook. Anyone think this might work? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/58735-good-way-find-your-stolen-powerbook-anyone-think-might-work.html)

Joe Calalang January 20th, 2006 09:03 AM

A good way to find your stolen Powerbook. Anyone think this might work?

http://orbicule.com/undercover/

Being a PC guy that I am, is it difficult to format the HD? Sounds like something I might use for my 2 year old Powerbook. Ya think it's worth it? Will it work?

Quote:

A new generation of theft recovery software

Undercover represents a quantum leap in anti-theft software. Traditionally, anti-theft software sends you an e-mail from time to time, containing the internet location of your computer. This e-mail can then be used to trace your computer's physical location. For most software in this genre, that's about it. Not so for Undercover: it takes a completely different approach to anti-theft software.

See what happens on your stolen Mac

In case of theft, Undercover not only reveals the internet location of your Mac, it also transmits screenshots, enabling you to closely monitor your stolen Mac. In fact, it's the first theft recovery software on any platform to do this. As these screenshots are sent at regular intervals, they will sooner or later reveal the thief's identity (e.g. when chatting, reading e-mail,...) making it much easier to work with law enforcement in order to recover your Mac.
Powerbook displaying Undercover alert message
Plan B is even better

If recovery of the stolen Mac fails for any reason, Undercover has an ingenious plan B. In this mode, Undercover will simulate a hardware failure, gradually making the Mac's screen unusable. This erratic behaviour will be accompanied by a Mac OS X system message stating that a hardware failure has been detected. All this should urge the thief to bring the Mac to an authorized Apple reseller. At that point, Undercover will show a full-screen message alerting the reseller (or someone who bought the Mac from the thief) that the Mac has been stolen, that it has become unusable and that it needs to be returned as soon as possible. Our contact information and a promise for a finder's fee will be displayed as well. Additionally, your Mac will start shouting this message, asking to return it as soon as possible. Interested in Undercover? Read more...
Money-back guarantee (x2)

We are so confident that Undercover will enable us to recover your Mac that we offer you two money-back guarantees. If we can not recover your stolen Mac, we will fully refund Undercover (1). Of course we still offer our traditional money-back guarantee: if you are not satisfied with Undercover, you will get a full refund within 30 days of purchase. No questions asked.

K. Forman January 20th, 2006 09:21 AM

Um... not being a Mac person, it seems to me that if the thief were to format the drive, and reload software, this would negate the theft software?

Bryon Akerman January 20th, 2006 09:43 AM

Can Undercover be uninstalled by a thief?

For a thief, uninstalling Undercover is impossible. You can only uninstall Undercover if you know the Administrator password for the given mac.

What if someone does a clean install of OS X on my machine?

You can prevent this by installing a firmware password. You can find the firmware password utility on your Mac OS X Tiger DVD (in /Applications/Utilities/ on the disc).

Taken from F.A.Q. on website

Joe Calalang January 20th, 2006 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryon Akerman
Can Undercover be uninstalled by a thief?

For a thief, uninstalling Undercover is impossible. You can only uninstall Undercover if you know the Administrator password for the given mac.

What if someone does a clean install of OS X on my machine?

You can prevent this by installing a firmware password. You can find the firmware password utility on your Mac OS X Tiger DVD (in /Applications/Utilities/ on the disc).

Taken from F.A.Q. on website

I need to do that. :) So, this is a good thing, eh? I wonder how much the "finder's fee" will cost.

Bryon Akerman January 20th, 2006 10:18 AM

Actually, I dont believe there is a finder's fee on your part. I believe that is just a ploy to get the theif or reseller to return it. I think it is included in your $25.00 fee

I think.

Bryon <><