DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Apple QuickTime 6.1 available (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/5926-apple-quicktime-6-1-available.html)

Jeff Donald January 9th, 2003 04:14 PM

Apple QuickTime 6.1 available

The headline says it all. I do not think that it is certified for FCP yet. I would not install or update to 6.1 until your finished with any open FCP projects or Apple certifies it for use with FCP. It available through software update in preferences. A stand alone version is not available yet, but should be in a day or two.

Apple list the improvements as:

QuickTime 6.1 delivers a number of quality and performance enhancements for audio, video, and full screen playback.

Enhancements include the following:

• MPEG-4 video provides more accurate rate control and improved visual quality.
• AAC includes new encoder controls and new bit rate options.
• DV includes significant encode and decode performance improvements.
• QuickTime Pro users will enjoy enhancements in full screen playback, including newly enabled keyboard shortcuts for movie control, faster entry and exit, and improved playback performance.

Note the improvements to DV.

Jeff

Robert Knecht Schmidt January 9th, 2003 04:33 PM

Can Quicktime for Windows do full-screen video yet? (A la Alt+Enter with Windows Media Player?)

Jeff Donald January 9th, 2003 04:50 PM

I don't know. Here is a link to the latest QT for windows 6.0.2.10

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/dl...&kind=1&db=win

This may not be the latest windows version. Yo may have to wait a day or two for the stand alone installer to get 6.1

Jeff

Matt Stahley January 11th, 2003 12:04 AM

Jeff have you been using QT 6.1 with FCP? If so any problems as of yet?

Jeff Donald January 11th, 2003 05:36 AM

I've been using QT 6.1 with FCP 3.0.4 for several days with no problems. I hven't seen anything official on Apples site yet. I'm not sure what that means. They may not be bothering to update the site with the immenent release of FCP 4. I'm sure QT 6.1 is certified for FCP 4. If you're using the latest version of FCP (3.0.4) then I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to QT 6.1. If you're using an earlier version I would wait for official word of certification from Apple.

Jeff

Ken Tanaka January 22nd, 2003 01:06 AM

Just a brief update to note that I've been using QuickTime 6.1 with FCP3 on my PowerBook for a few days with no adverse effects whatsoever. The 6.1 update seems quite safe and painless.

Rob Lohman January 22nd, 2003 04:48 AM

Robert,

QuickTime for Windows has had the ability to do fullscreen
playback for as long as I can remember there being QuickTime
for Windows. BUT, they made this feature a "Pro" version
feature ONLY! This means you will have to shell out the cash
to get the Pro version of the player to have this posibility, which
in my mind is just plain stupid. I mean, come on, fullscreen
playback requires extra costs? Unfortunately, yes.

Hope this explained it a bit.

Mark Argerake January 22nd, 2003 09:09 AM

Does anyone one what is the latest versions of OSX, FCP and QT that still work well together? There are upates out there for all three for me, but I've heard to many horror stories about incompatability so I've been a little gun shy.

Jeff Donald January 22nd, 2003 12:21 PM

I've been running OS 10.2.3 with FCP 3.0.4 for sometime (since they first came out) and it has resolved the few issues i've has since the release of 10.2 Quicktime 6.1 seems to be a non-issue. I have only heard of a few isolated instances of people having problems with QT6.1 I would suggest you upgrade if your having problems. However, don't upgrade in the middle of a project. You never know when the best laid plans have troubles.

Jeff

Matt Stahley January 22nd, 2003 05:33 PM

For re-assurance i have been running OS 10.2.3/FCP 3.0.4/QT 6.1 as well with no problems so far in FCP or QT itself.