DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Apple Safari - Web Browser (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/5928-apple-safari-web-browser.html)

Paul Sedillo January 9th, 2003 05:33 PM

Apple Safari - Web Browser

Apple is getting into the browser game:

http://www.apple.com/safari/

-----

Safari offers you a superior Web experience with outstanding performance. Even the most complex of pages load at breakneck speed. In fact, Safari loads pages more quickly than any other Mac Web browser. But that’s not all. Safari uses the advanced interface technologies underlying Mac OS X to offer you an all-new view of the Web, one that’s much easier to use.

Speed racer
Safari zips right by Microsoft’s Internet Explorer for the Macintosh. You’ll notice that right away when you launch the program — Safari is 40% quicker. And you’ll really appreciate it when it comes to downloading pages, since Safari loads them three times faster than Internet Explorer 5.2.2. Safari is no laggard when it comes to JavaScript either — it’s more than twice as fast as Internet Explorer. Of course, Internet Explorer isn’t the only other browser around, and Safari whizzes past the rest of the competition, too.*

Rick Spilman January 9th, 2003 06:03 PM

I recently did a web site for a client. Cute little site. Used a smattering of FLASH and DHTML. We made one revision and suddenly the layers didn't scroll on his Apple. Worked fine on PC's just not his G4. Went back over the code and slightly nuts and then suddenly it worked again. Who knows why.

Already a web designer needs to worry about the various flavors of Explorer, Navigator, AOL, and Opera. And now Steve Jobs gives us another variant to have to desgn to. Curse you Jobs.

Rick

Jeff Donald January 9th, 2003 06:21 PM

If IE or Navigator did their homework and showed some innovations or improvements in the last 2 years Safari wouldn't stand a chance. Instead, IE is bloatware. No new features in 2 years and the only upgrades are to fix security problems. Curse you Bill Gates is more like it.

Jeff

Rick Spilman January 9th, 2003 06:54 PM

Innovation, improvement, Gates. Not usually three words you see in the same paragraph.

Rick

Jeff Donald January 9th, 2003 07:41 PM

If you like Safari, then maybe you should Safari Enhancer http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17776 It enables some hidden features in Safari.

Jeff

Alex Taylor January 9th, 2003 07:42 PM

One thing that is desperately needed is some sort of standard for web browsers in how they display pages. It's very frustrating optimizating a site for both Netscape and IE, let alone any of those other browsers. If we all had a universal standard that all these browsers were based on, it would be a lot easier on us designers!

Paul Sedillo January 9th, 2003 07:52 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Spilman : I recently did a web site for a client. Cute little site. Used a smattering of FLASH and DHTML. We made one revision and suddenly the layers didn't scroll on his Apple. Worked fine on PC's just not his G4. Went back over the code and slightly nuts and then suddenly it worked again. Who knows why.

Already a web designer needs to worry about the various flavors of Explorer, Navigator, AOL, and Opera. And now Steve Jobs gives us another variant to have to desgn to. Curse you Jobs.

Rick -->>>

As a designer I have encountered the same problem. Nothing like having a CSS not want to play nice with a certain type of browser. Makes me mad just thinking about it!

Ken Tanaka January 9th, 2003 08:02 PM

In nearly 2 days of use I've not hit a site that Safari did not render correctly. In fact it seems to handle complex pages much better than IE does.

Safari did crash hard once on Yahoo; no apparent reason. It's also just stopped at least twice.

The pop-up blocker is also very, very nice to have.

Rick Spilman January 9th, 2003 08:08 PM

"Safari did crash hard once on Yahoo; no apparent reason. It's also just stopped at least twice."

Yahoo has the same effect on me too.

Rick

Paul Sedillo January 9th, 2003 10:22 PM

My question is how do I import my links from Chimera?? There must be a path somewhere that is storing this puppies.

Jeff Donald January 9th, 2003 10:26 PM

Safari enhancer is supposed have a better way to import bookmarks from IE and chimera.

Jeff

Thomas Berg Petersen January 16th, 2003 11:14 AM

Hotmail problems with Safari

I am having some problems accessing my hotmail account using Safari. I guess one would have to log in via your instant messenger which is a little annoying. Otherwise I am very impressed.

Jeff Donald January 19th, 2003 12:48 AM

I've been using Safari for several days now and and I'm not switching yet. Chimera (Navigator) is a little slower on many sites, faster on a few. But it has better compatibility on secure sites, banks etc. and has fewer render problems. I would give up Chimera, except for one feature, that I've found indispensable . Tabbed browsing. It is so much faster in my day to day work. My posts here and other sites consume a few hours a day. If I can speed that up I'm a happy camper. Tabbed browsing does just that. I can have multiple windows (tabs) open and quickly switch from one to the others and back. When Safari adds tabbed browsing I'll switch for the speed. Until then, Chimera is the faster workflow.

Jeff

Steve Nunez January 22nd, 2003 10:05 PM

Big Mac fan here (not the hamburger)..........Safari is slower on my system than IE is.......I'm using a G4-933 with 1.5GB ram and DSL connection.........

I want to like Safari- but it's slower than IE- it also stutters on some pagesand I can't tell if something's loading or not.......

hopefully Apple will get it to work as fast as they're claiming.

Robert Knecht Schmidt June 14th, 2003 11:34 AM

Apparently, Safari has been successful enough to push Microsoft to discontinue IE/Mac.

One less browser to have to validate for...

When will Microsoft have the cajones to build a popup stopper into IE/Win?