Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 9th, 2003, 05:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Apple Safari - Web Browser

Apple is getting into the browser game:

http://www.apple.com/safari/

-----

Safari offers you a superior Web experience with outstanding performance. Even the most complex of pages load at breakneck speed. In fact, Safari loads pages more quickly than any other Mac Web browser. But that’s not all. Safari uses the advanced interface technologies underlying Mac OS X to offer you an all-new view of the Web, one that’s much easier to use.

Speed racer
Safari zips right by Microsoft’s Internet Explorer for the Macintosh. You’ll notice that right away when you launch the program — Safari is 40% quicker. And you’ll really appreciate it when it comes to downloading pages, since Safari loads them three times faster than Internet Explorer 5.2.2. Safari is no laggard when it comes to JavaScript either — it’s more than twice as fast as Internet Explorer. Of course, Internet Explorer isn’t the only other browser around, and Safari whizzes past the rest of the competition, too.*
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 06:03 PM   #2
Major Player

I recently did a web site for a client. Cute little site. Used a smattering of FLASH and DHTML. We made one revision and suddenly the layers didn't scroll on his Apple. Worked fine on PC's just not his G4. Went back over the code and slightly nuts and then suddenly it worked again. Who knows why.

Already a web designer needs to worry about the various flavors of Explorer, Navigator, AOL, and Opera. And now Steve Jobs gives us another variant to have to desgn to. Curse you Jobs.

Rick
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 06:21 PM   #3
Warden

If IE or Navigator did their homework and showed some innovations or improvements in the last 2 years Safari wouldn't stand a chance. Instead, IE is bloatware. No new features in 2 years and the only upgrades are to fix security problems. Curse you Bill Gates is more like it.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 06:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Innovation, improvement, Gates. Not usually three words you see in the same paragraph.

Rick
Old January 9th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #5
Warden

If you like Safari, then maybe you should Safari Enhancer http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17776 It enables some hidden features in Safari.

Jeff
Old January 9th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #6
Major Player

One thing that is desperately needed is some sort of standard for web browsers in how they display pages. It's very frustrating optimizating a site for both Netscape and IE, let alone any of those other browsers. If we all had a universal standard that all these browsers were based on, it would be a lot easier on us designers!
Old January 9th, 2003, 07:52 PM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Spilman : I recently did a web site for a client. Cute little site. Used a smattering of FLASH and DHTML. We made one revision and suddenly the layers didn't scroll on his Apple. Worked fine on PC's just not his G4. Went back over the code and slightly nuts and then suddenly it worked again. Who knows why.

Already a web designer needs to worry about the various flavors of Explorer, Navigator, AOL, and Opera. And now Steve Jobs gives us another variant to have to desgn to. Curse you Jobs.

Rick -->>>

As a designer I have encountered the same problem. Nothing like having a CSS not want to play nice with a certain type of browser. Makes me mad just thinking about it!
Houston, Texas
Old January 9th, 2003, 08:02 PM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

In nearly 2 days of use I've not hit a site that Safari did not render correctly. In fact it seems to handle complex pages much better than IE does.

Safari did crash hard once on Yahoo; no apparent reason. It's also just stopped at least twice.

The pop-up blocker is also very, very nice to have.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 08:08 PM   #9
Major Player

"Safari did crash hard once on Yahoo; no apparent reason. It's also just stopped at least twice."

Yahoo has the same effect on me too.

Rick
Old January 9th, 2003, 10:22 PM   #10
Major Player

My question is how do I import my links from Chimera?? There must be a path somewhere that is storing this puppies.
Houston, Texas
Old January 9th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #11
Warden

Safari enhancer is supposed have a better way to import bookmarks from IE and chimera.

Jeff
Old January 16th, 2003, 11:14 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hotmail problems with Safari

I am having some problems accessing my hotmail account using Safari. I guess one would have to log in via your instant messenger which is a little annoying. Otherwise I am very impressed.
Old January 19th, 2003, 12:48 AM   #13
Warden

I've been using Safari for several days now and and I'm not switching yet. Chimera (Navigator) is a little slower on many sites, faster on a few. But it has better compatibility on secure sites, banks etc. and has fewer render problems. I would give up Chimera, except for one feature, that I've found indispensable . Tabbed browsing. It is so much faster in my day to day work. My posts here and other sites consume a few hours a day. If I can speed that up I'm a happy camper. Tabbed browsing does just that. I can have multiple windows (tabs) open and quickly switch from one to the others and back. When Safari adds tabbed browsing I'll switch for the speed. Until then, Chimera is the faster workflow.

Jeff
Old January 22nd, 2003, 10:05 PM   #14
Trustee

Big Mac fan here (not the hamburger)..........Safari is slower on my system than IE is.......I'm using a G4-933 with 1.5GB ram and DSL connection.........

I want to like Safari- but it's slower than IE- it also stutters on some pagesand I can't tell if something's loading or not.......

hopefully Apple will get it to work as fast as they're claiming.
Old June 14th, 2003, 11:34 AM   #15
Wrangler

Apparently, Safari has been successful enough to push Microsoft to discontinue IE/Mac.

One less browser to have to validate for...

When will Microsoft have the cajones to build a popup stopper into IE/Win?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite