Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP capture issue

Hey guys and gals,
I've just moved to a mac for editing and having never used one before its all a bit alien. Am getting the error message: "Final cut pro was unable to read the movie file just captured." when i try to capture any footage.
Anyon know what the problem is? and the solution? thanks
David Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 02:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Can you please explain the process you used to capture?
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, no problem. I'm capturing from a PAL DV device through firewire, routed through a Formac studio DV (have tried it direct without the studio dv device but same error occurs so this is not at fault)

File: Log and Capture.

Device control:L Firewire PAL device control with capture input at: DV PAL 48khz

Playing the tape with device control and then capturing NOW.

Fault message appears when I press escape to end capture.

thanks
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:16 AM   #4
Major Player

If you are capturing from a PAL DV device (What is this device?), then why are you routed thru the Formac Studio? Why not directly from the DV device? (Camera?)

If you are routing thru a converter, you need to set the DEVICE to UNCONTROLLED DEVICE, then hit capture now. Limit your captures to 10-15 min chunks.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Going through the formac device was purely to keep the wires out of the way. I have tried it without this device too as I said. (I dont think this is where the problem lies to be honest, as it gives the same result whether routed through it or not.) The dv device is a newsony handycam which I'm using for playback...

Have tried your suggestions but neither have worked. Still the same fault message whether capturing 2 seconds of footage or 15 mins. I also tried the device control on firewire pal basic too but this didnt work either. Still the same problem.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

CAN ANYONE HELP? Has anyone else come across this error message before?
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Aha! It WAS the formac... When I completely disconnect it (previously i was just using a different firewire port) It captures OK. Will have to resolve the formac issue as it should work but for the moment I CAN capture! Thanks for those that offered help on this, its appreciated.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:54 PM   #8
Major Player

Shane's Stock Tip Mantra: If the program was working fine, and now isn't, or just isn't working the way it should, the first things to do are:

1) Trash your FCP preferences. Download the appropriate version of FCP Rescue at http://www.pistolerapost2.com/fcprescue and run it.

2) Open the Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.

3) (optional) Do the Hokey Pokey and turn your self about. Results may vary.

I have never encountered this when capturing with FCP. When trying to import footage captured from another source, yes, but not FCP.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite