DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 4th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #1
Tourist

Urgent Reply

hi
i accidentally gave 'no access' to my primary drive where the OS is installed in my G5, and then everything went blank. cant access any drives.
Zeeshan Haider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Wrangler

Wow, I never ran into that one! Can you describe exactly WHAT you did to cause this problem?

I think you will need a way to boot from another disk, such as an external firewire drive so that you can undo the damage. Are you located anywhere near an Apple Store? If so you should be able to bring the machine in and have them help. Another possibility would be connecting your mac to another one and using firewire target disk mode to mount its hard drive. Here's a description of how to do this (the "first computer" would be the damaged one):

Quote:
1. Shut down the first computer and leave the second computer on.
Connect the two computers using a 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable. (If both computers have higher-speed FireWire 800 ports in addition to the standard FireWire 400 ports, you can use a 9-pin to 9-pin cable with the FireWire 800 ports to transfer data at higher speeds.)

2. Start up the first computer while holding down the T key.
A disk icon for the first computer appears on the desktop on the second computer.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #3
Major Player

BOOT TO THE ORIGINAL INSTALL DVD!!!!!!!

CHANGE THE ADMIN (ROOT) PASSWORD

That should (I think) reset all settings on the drive, or at least let you get to it.
Tomas Chinchilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #4
Wrangler

As Tomas suggested boot from the OS X install disk. When you get to the first install screen, select "Disk Utility" from the Apple menu and then "repair permissions." This should work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite