DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   HDV Monitoring - Pro CRT vs. LCD/Plasma vs. Consumer CRT (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/59960-hdv-monitoring-pro-crt-vs-lcd-plasma-vs-consumer-crt.html)

Eric Wotila February 5th, 2006 05:19 PM

HDV Monitoring - Pro CRT vs. LCD/Plasma vs. Consumer CRT

I'm editing HDV on FCP5 running on a Dual 2.5Ghz G5. Right now, for a monitoring solution, I have my Sanyo 30" HDTV (a cheap consumer CRT) connected via a DVI>HDMI cable. I use Digital Cinema Desktop to monitor. There are a couple problems with this setup - first off, the TV won't accept the 1080p signal the computer sends out at a 1920 x 1080 resolution, so I'm forced to send out a 720p signal instead. This provides less-than-optimal monitoring of the 1080i footage from my FX1. Secondly, using the DVI port to connect the TV prevents me from setting up dual monitors.

A couple questions - first off, what would be the best solution to send out a component signal to the TV? I think the Kona LH card from AJA would do this, but is there anything less expensive?

Also, my HD set is, as mentioned, a cheap consumer CRT. (A Wal-Mart P.O.S.) - I found a deal on a like-new PHM-14M8U HD monitor, do you think I would be better off with this? I know it's an older model and only offerrs ~600 lines of resolution, but I would figure it has to be better than a cheap consumer CRT. Any advice on this would be appreciated!

I'd like to preview on a CRT rather than LCD because the color has always seemed better on CRTs, but would I be better off with an LCD (or plasma) preview monitor?

Thanks in advance for any advice - I know this is quite a long post but I appreciate any answers I can get! :)

Jack D. Hubbard February 12th, 2006 04:54 PM

Monitor

Hi Eric:

Just saw your post. I use a JVC TM-A101 GU 13-inch monitor. It play in 16:9 or 4:3. It has only 300 lines but with a KONA AJA2 Card HD looks good. Most important I can see accurate color and light values of the video and finished product.

Jack Hubbard

Nick Hiltgen February 14th, 2006 03:38 AM

Eric I think I'm probably not too far away from building my own HD editing set up and I found myself thinking about the whole CRT vs. LCD thing as well. Everyone will tell you (and they're probably right) that you get truer colors and a better overall image from a CRT but, it seems to me that the majority of HD televisions getting sold today are LCD or plasma so I can't help but wonder if you're better off trying to get the best picture you can out of an LCD. A really fun (though super expensive) option is the new ecinema displays which are LCD screens but supposedly have the color recreation of a CRT. (all for only 15,000 bucks).

Also I just saw a JVC 17" HD monitor that was beautiful (though no blue only!?!) and I believe it was in the range of 3000 or so. it really comes down to budget I suppose.

I think the aja is probably the best option, though I think there's a blakc magic decklink card that might be similar.