Realtime Playback of HDV on Plasma in FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Realtime Playback of HDV on Plasma in FCP?

What is the best option for realtime HDV playback
to a plasma/LCD/HD Monitor from Final Cut Pro?
Rob Stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:24 AM   #2
Wrangler

If you want to monitor as you edit then there are two choices. First would be to use FCP's digital cinema desktop feature and connect the plasma screen to your Mac's second DVI port. This works OK, but you don't get full quality. Unfortunately the only other solution is to buy an expensive HD capture card like the DeckLink. The current software and hardware isn't able to compress HDV in realtime and send it over firewire like you can do with regular DV.

If you don't want to buy a capture card you can also connect your plasma screen directly to your camera via component video. This won't let you monitor in realtime, but it will let you watch tapes as they play on the camera.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 04:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Unfortunately the only other solution is to buy an expensive HD capture card like the DeckLink
of course expensive is a relative term. for $ 995 you get a card which provide you both HD-SDI and component outputs. In Holland that means not going to a pub for a month... ;-)
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #4
Major Player

What card is $995 with HD component out?

I'm going to mainly be shooting weddings and other events, and just purchased two HDR-FX1 cameras.

I'd like some way to monitor my video, without spending $3,000, that will give me a more accurate representation for color correction and evaluating shots and previewing my edit than the canvas in FCP.

What are my best options?

Also, am i ok to be editing HDV native in FCP 5, adding color correction, transitions (dissolves and wipes), slow motion, or would I be better converting to some "intermediate" codec? If so what should I be looking at for this?

Sorry, I got my FX1's... and now I am thinking... "now what?"
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #5
Trustee

Apple has just recently upgraded the brightness of the 30 inch Cinema Display and its still $2,499. If not then you can always get the 23 inch model for $1,299. Hopefully you have a Mac that can handle the 30 inch version.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trubac
What card is $995 with HD component out?
Decklink HD Pro Singe Link

SDI in and out, component out only for monitoring
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

How are you going to deliver HD weddings to people? I would downconvert to standard def and color correct using an SD NTSC monitor. If you are going to deliver on h.264, you can color correct to your computer monitor.
Phil Hover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #8
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Check out the new XMO from Matrox!

Matrox MXO (coming in June) $995.00
Portable broadcast-quality audio/video output for the Mac

Matrox MXOMatrox MXO takes the DVI output from your Mac computer or laptop and converts it to broadcast-quality video.You can preview your Apple Final Cut Pro projects or the output of other QuickTime-based applications such as Apple Motion, Shake, DVD Studio Pro and LiveType, as well as Adobe After Effects as they will actually appear on TV and record them frame accurately to tape - no drop frames, no repeat frames. You can also use Matrox MXO to provide flicker-free recording of Keynote and PowerPoint presentations, web browser sessions, and software application training.

Matrox MXO is a cost-effective external box that's easy-to-use and portable. You'll wonder how you ever worked without it.

for more info and to pre-order
http://www.videoguys.com/mxo.html

Gary
Old April 20th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #9
Major Player

Looks pretty cool. I bet there will be alot of stuff like this coming out making the change over to formats like HDV much less troublesome.

I like the idea that it isn't a pci card and I could use it with my Powermac in the studio, and take it on the road to use with my powerbook.
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Hover
How are you going to deliver HD weddings to people? I would downconvert to standard def and color correct using an SD NTSC monitor. If you are going to deliver on h.264, you can color correct to your computer monitor.

Using h.264 codec you can color correct accurately on your computer monitor?
William Muntean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite