DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Captured files end in -av, unable to play them (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/61740-captured-files-end-av-unable-play-them.html)

Brian Farris February 28th, 2006 11:42 AM

Captured files end in -av, unable to play them

We had a setup this weekend where we could capture a 3 day competition by using a mac mini with FCP and an external hard drive. It worked great, however at some point, it began saving the files with a -av at the end of the files.

Such as, in Log and Capture, we would put the team name under the description and capture the performance and then escape and then it would save the file name under that team name. I wasn't there, but my videographer said that after about the 3rd day, it started to capture the files and have an -av at the end of the file name, like john doe-av

I can't open them in quicktime or FCP because it doesn't recognise the file. Is there any way to fix this problem? I REALLY need these files.

Thanks.

John L Scott February 28th, 2006 11:52 AM

I think if you rename one of the files ie: -av.avi the programs might associate themselves but, don't quote me yet. I need to check into this a little more...

Brian Farris March 1st, 2006 06:19 PM

I don't think this is the answer.

John L Scott March 6th, 2006 06:53 PM

How did ya come out with that mac problem???

Brian Farris March 16th, 2006 09:35 AM

Well, here is what happened. On the 3rd day of the event, they were running out of disk space on the first hard drive so they went out and bought another external hard drive. However, they didn't know to format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and by default it is set to MS-DOS (Fat32). So, whenever a capture file gets larger than 2GB, it splits the file. That's why I was getting filename-av and filename-av-1, filename-av-2 and so on. Each of those files was 2GB.

If anyone can figure out how to combine these files back, I would probably.... I don't know what I would do. I would be happy beyond measure. I don't know what I would do to repay them. Because to me, this seems nearly impossible. I figure you would have to discect the file using some kind of hex editor or any kind of way to get to the very basics of the file, then find out if you need to remove any kind of header file or meta data at the beginning of the split files, and then recombine them to where they work.

I know that there is no way I could figure out how this is done. I think that if no one on the internet has done this before and can show me how, then this is impossible and my footage for that 3rd day is lost...

Thanks.

Shane Ross March 16th, 2006 05:37 PM

The reason it broke them up is the FAT-32 FORMATTING. You got that right. It broke the clips up, but they should still all relate to each other IF YOU DIDN'T RENAME THEM. And they will only relate to eachother in FCP, not in QT. You can't open them in QT, but they should still work fine in FCP.

Are they not? Did you re-name them?

Brian Farris March 17th, 2006 12:00 AM

When you try to import it into fcp, it gives some error message, but I can't remember what it says.

There wouldn't be a way to import them as a single file would there?

Shane Ross March 17th, 2006 01:56 AM

If you already captured them, aren't there clips already in FCP that is associated with them?

The times this happened to me, I already had those clips. I never tried importing them as separate files. But, logic would dictate that you should try to import the first clip in the naming sequence. -av-0.

Brian Farris March 17th, 2006 09:50 AM

Well, when trying to import them individually or all at the same time, it doesn't make any difference. None of those av files will be imported.

Boyd Ostroff March 17th, 2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Farris
However, they didn't know to format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

This doesn't really address your problem, but in the future if you're formatting a drive for video be sure to turn journalling OFF. It impacts performance and can cause dropped frames on capture/playback.

Brian Farris March 17th, 2006 11:32 PM

Is journaled for spotlight or is it for something else? I actually have not had a problem with having it journaled, but if it really makes a difference. What would I be missing by not having it journaled?

Can anyone else shed some light on this av file situation?

John L Scott March 18th, 2006 11:26 PM

I did say don't quote me ;) But I did get it right on the mac problem. Kinda interesting huh. I run both types cause there is good and bad in both, but I prefer Lunux... Interesting to wait and see how this file problem comes out... I might need the fix someday ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Ross
The reason it broke them up is the FAT-32 FORMATTING. You got that right. It broke the clips up, but they should still all relate to each other IF YOU DIDN'T RENAME THEM. And they will only relate to eachother in FCP, not in QT. You can't open them in QT, but they should still work fine in FCP.

Are they not? Did you re-name them?

Aaron Koolen March 19th, 2006 12:00 AM

I'm only guessing here, but if it has split them, each file should still be it's own standalone movie. Have you tried renaming them to filename.mov? I know macs don't really care about extensions, but maybe this time? ;)

Aaron Koolen March 19th, 2006 12:01 AM

Ahh, this is great to know, thanks Boyd. I have unfortunately formatted my media drives with journalling on. Won't do in the future.

Cheers
Aaron

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
This doesn't really address your problem, but in the future if you're formatting a drive for video be sure to turn journalling OFF. It impacts performance and can cause dropped frames on capture/playback.