DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 28th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Rosetta - Mac Mini - Intel

Timing is everything. I ordered a Mac Mini and Final Cut Express yesterday, but Apple introduced the "Intel" Mac Mini today. I did what what anyone one would do. I called them and asked them to change my order. No problem- for a few dollars more (which includes 2 Gigs of Ram instead of 1).

Apple offered to take FCE back and give me a $25 credit to go against buying the universal platform when it is introduced. Okay. Not bad.

But what about every other piece of software I own? Namely Photoshop 7 Upgrade from the original Photoshop 3 disc. And Illustrator 8. The other piece of software I use a lot is Microsoft's 2004 edition of Office Mac.

Does anyone know if these older applications will run on Rosetta which is installed on these new Intel based Macs?

Sad fact is that i had to beg, steal and grovel to get enough cash to buy the Mac Mini and I can't afford to replace my Adobe and Microsoft Word software (Not that it even exists yet).

Apple is holding my order until I can determine if I want to keep yesterday's configuration or take the new Intel.

Has anyone had any experience using older Adobe and Microsoft Office products on an Intel Mac?

The reason I'm so paranoid is because I'm wondering why Rosetta won't work for Apples pro software (FCP, Motion...).

I'm just getting over the idea that Apple made my upgrading from FCP3 to FCP5 Studio unaffordable (hence getting FCE).

I really want that faster machine, but only if I can use the old Adobe and Microsoft Applications.

Any experience on this?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

While we're on the subject, has anyone here tried to connect a Mac Mini to an HDTV using the DVI output, and if so how did that go? My HDTV has a DVI input, so if that were a simple matter to connect this could have promise as functional HD video player. Any comments on this topic would be welcome.

Edit: I just checked the Apple web site, and according to them the most powerful new Mac Mini still isn't fast enough to reliably play H.264 video at 720p resolution. Rats!
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Please see: www.ureader.com/message/3227668.aspx

Moderator note: please do not copy and paste content from other websites at DVinfo as this creates a copyright issue for us; use a link instead. Thanks for your cooperation.
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #4
Major Player

A link about Maxtor 1 Touch Firewire Drive having difficulty with the new Mac Intel. (Yes, I bought this today).

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....53060&tstart=0
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #5
Major Player

When Steve first introduced the Intel Mac he showed off Photoshop and said something like "Photoshop is always slow" so it does work, but the performance will not be the greatest.
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Nate, I understand that Rosetta will make OSX apps run slower. But here is the problem. Rosetta doesn't function with Classic Apps.

If your original disc is Classic. And your upgrade disc is OSX. Will Rosetta allow it or will it throw on the brakes as soon as it sees original classic disc. I spent 10 hours looking for the answer and haven't found it.

I'm pretty much convinced that I'm going to pass on Intel for the next 12 months because I won't have the funds to replace the software that I'm currently enjoying pre-Intel.
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Scott, it sounds like you are asking HOW to get your apps which were originally classic, but then UPGRADED to OS X versions onto an Intel iMac Mini. Simple, use the transfer files option when you get your new mac. If your old computer has a firewire port you simple shut down your old machine, link the 2 computers with a firewire cable and then start up the second machine hodling down something like the T key... When you first boot up your new Mac it will walk you through the steps. This way it will simply copy your OS X version of your apps and whatever else you've got to your new machine...

The HDTV question is the big one going around... all of Apple's info on its website is based on the old set up where every mac has a separate video card. The reason they choose this Intel chip for video on the Intel mini Mac is that it can handle 2 HD streams at once... so while it will suck for things like video games it is designed to handle HD content. What does that mean? No one knows for sure yet because it isn't clear on Apple's site, but one thing is for sure, you'll need 1 GB of RAM to be happy because the 512MB has 80MB eaten by the video RAM alone...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:15 PM   #8
Major Player

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com

Someone got a mini and had no problem with 1080i content...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:27 PM   #9
Wrangler

Well since many people believe that the mini is going to be adapated by Apple as a media center/DVR product then that certainly makes sense. And since - as we all know - Steve declared 2005 as the "year of high definition video" then this also fits. ;-)

Nice. Sounds like a lot of power crammed into that amount of space at a very reasonable price!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:55 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Well since many people believe that the mini is going to be adapated by Apple as a media center/DVR product then that certainly makes sense.
Phil said yesterday that Apple has no plans of making the Mini into a DVR and that it's primarily intended to allow people to play content from their macs on the TV.
Old March 10th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #11
Major Player

FCP3 Not installing-Help!

Problem: Can't install FCP3 upgrade to new non-intel mac-mini with OS10.4X even though I have the orginal FCP2 disc.

I've tried the migration assistant. It brings over everything including the original FCP2 and FCP3. I've had classic running in the background. The message I get is "FCP requires a System ID file which is either missing or invalid. Please reinstall using the original CD used to intall FCP".

The Old G4 is running OS10.2X.

I've also got one similar saying I needed open FCP2 first.

I can't open FCP 2 because it says classic doesn't support it.

I've tried to install without migration using disks. I tried it with and without Classic being engaged. By the way, Classic doesn't just show up on these new Macs. You have to install the program from the install disc which I did.

Any suggestions?

What if I used the Mac-min's OS10.4 install disc and upgraded the G4's OS?
Would it work? If so, would FCP3 continue working on the G4? If so, would I then erase everything on the Mac-Mini and start again with another migration?

Sure could use the help as I'm getting real backed up over here.

Thanks,
Scott
Old March 10th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #12
Wrangler

This is a known issue. You can't install FCP3 under MacOSX 10.4, but I think you can copy it from a working system. Been awhile since I've used FCP3, but you should be able to find that system ID file on your old machine somewhere in the /Library folder. I'm pretty sure it changed with the newer versions, but in FCP 5 it's in /Library/Application Support/Proapps/Final Cut Pro System ID. I'd look in /Library/Preferences for the old system id.

You might search through Apple's FCP support forum here, this issue has been discussed before: http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=939

However, you should really consider upgrading. FCP3 is a real "dog" by today's standards and FCP4 or 5 will perform much, much better on your Mini. FCP3 does do proper "realtime" effects via firewire. The newer versions will give you realtime previews over firewire without rendering and make you much more productive.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks Boyd, I found the system ID on the old computer and replaced the ID on the new computer, but it was the same and I got the same result.

Believe me if I had the money I would go FCP4 or 5. By the way, Apple Tech (brilliant guy) said FCP4 wouldn't install in Tiger any way. That didn't make sense to me, but neither does this problem.

But I've heard a working FCP3 in Tiger will migrate as you have. I looked through the threads you mentioned but didn't see the issue. I'm still a little dazed from the backlog of work, the event today, and the problem at hand. Maybe it was right in front of me.

Is there any known problem to updating Jaguar to Tiger using an OS10.4 disc- meaning will FCP3 cease to function because of a quicktime problem or some other culprit?
-Thanks
Old March 10th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #14
Wrangler

I don't know.... I stopped using FCP3 while I was still running Jaguar. I suggest you start a thread in that Apple forum if you couldn't find an answer by searching, because I know it was discussed there around the time that Tiger was released.

I realize your immediate goal is to get back up and running, but in the long term if you do this for business then it isn't unreasonable to replace a piece of software that was released around 5 years ago. Their upgrade program will get you the full production suite (including Motion, Soundtrack Pro and DVD Studio Pro) for $700.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite