Jerky playback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 5th, 2006, 08:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Jerky playback

I've had this happen before but can't for the life of me figure out how I "fixed" it. When playing a clip from my timeline it appears jerky in the viewer. If I click on it in the bin and play it on the canvas it plays smooth. It just started doing this and don't know why and can't find how to get it play smoothly as it does in the canvas. Memory is not a problem nor is disk space. Could it be in the plist?

Thanks in advance! And by the way, my claim to fame...first name on the list of most users ever online. Please don't anyone tell me that thier name appears first too.

Ken
Ken Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Ken and welcome to DVinfo.

I'm wondering if you're reversing the terms "canvas" and "viewer"? In FCP-speak, the canvas is the window that shows the image from the timeline. The viewer is a window which opens when you double-click a clip.

Regardless, there are a couple things which I've seen that can cause this. One of them is leaving the log and capture window open. Close that window when you aren't actually capturing something. The other is an old bug (feature?) that seems to be in every version of FCP. Do NOT set the canvas scale to 100%. For some reason that slows things down and can also prevent video from being sent over firewire. Instead, choose the "fit to window" option from the drop-down menu, then resize the window as desired.

Aside from that, I've found that FCP can sometimes act strange after long periods of use. Quitting and opening again usually fixes it, but restarting your Mac might also be needed. I think this happens mainly when memory gets fragmented while working with multiple applications at the same time.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Boyd, "Fit to window" did it!
Ken Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #4
Wrangler

You'd think that Apple would fix that bug! It's been there since I started using FCP (ver 3) more than 4 years ago! Glad that fixed it.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite