Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 9th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

3 Post Production questions using DVCPro HD

Hey folks,

Hang with me here ... 3 semi-related questions:

The setup: Using an HVX200 shooting at 720/30 PN. Editing in Final Cut for a downconvert to DVD at end of project. Final project will include about 40 minutes worth of content. Have done some test exports downconverting the footage using Compressor 2's "DVD Best Quality 16:9" preset with NO tweaking.

The questions:

1.) In some of my tests of exporting footage I have discovered that my dissolves/general transtion effects look blocky and just rather nasty ... what's going on here and how do I avoid it?

2.) Any thoughts on Compressor settings (haven't done a lot of tweaking with this) and/or is there a cleaner way (better program?) to downconvert and export to .m2v without using a hardware encoder?

3.) I've accidentally shot some of my footage in 720/60 P ... requiring a render in the timeline on every frame tweak. Should I just convert the source footage to 30P? Thoughts?

4.) Hah! Bonus question ... I've noticed a darkening of the image on the downconvert ... obviously I'll lose rez but I've been surprised how much I lose, especially in the shadows ... any thoughts?

Final output quality is very important (when isn't it?!) Thanks for your time!
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Check out the section at the bottom of the page on Compressor http://dvknowledgebase.org/knowledge...ng/compressor/ see if it helps, the other stuff I don't have any experience with

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite