DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   QT/HDV1080i to M2T (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/62506-qt-hdv1080i-m2t.html)

Michael Rich March 9th, 2006 08:14 PM

QT/HDV1080i to M2T

I know this has been beat to death, but I've still never found a good way to convert my QT/MOV files that uses the HDV1080i codec over to a true MPEG2 M2T file so I can transfer to my PC in order to convert it into HD/WMV.

Is there any solution for this? I looked at MPEG Streamclip, but when I load the MOV file, the option to export to TS is disabled, so no go on that.

The only possible solution I've read is to use iMovieHD and do the Share to Camera, output for later, which I think is supposed to bulid a true M2T file, but when I try to load my MOV in, it tries to duplicate the file and I run out of disk space.

Anyone got any help on this? PLEASE!!?

Tim Dashwood March 10th, 2006 05:27 AM

Lumiere HD can encode to m2t, but it might not be worth the $179 if this is all you would use it for.

Have you tried changing the extension from .mov to m2t for the HDV codec quicktime? This might be enough to trick the PC into reading the mpeg2 ts data contained in the quicktime wrapper.

If you captured with AIC, you could also just use Compressor 2 and use the "HDV 1080i60" preset in "advanced format conversions," and then try changing the extension.

You could also try Cleaner 6.5 to encode WMV on your mac (but I think it only has the WMP7 codec.)

The best alternative for encoding WMV on the mac is Flip4Mac Studio v2 which will encode WMV9 Advanced (WMVA) and Standard (WMV3).

Michael Rich March 10th, 2006 08:26 AM

Thanks Tim,

I captured direct HDV and edited in FCP, so it should already be in that format, I think I've tried renaming before, but that was when I directly compressed via WME instead of trying to use TMPGEnc to do the encoding, so I'll give it another try.

I also tried the trial of Flip2Mac's stuff, but I did not like the quality, so I've stuck with compressing on my PC (for standard SD stuff at this point...).

I'll report back for everyone how it goes.

Thanks!

Michael Rich March 10th, 2006 09:37 AM

Ok I gave this a try this morning and am (very) happy to report I got it working.

Disclaimer: I use TMPGEnc Xpress 3.0 to compress my WMV, ymmv.

I got it to work, though its a two file/step process, it did work.

In FCP, export your HDV timeline to a self-contained MOV using the HDV1080i codec (this is what my HC1 uses).
Now export the timeline again to a WAV file (more on this in a second).

This gives you two files, VIDEO1.MOV and VIDEO1.WAV.

One the PC size, specify VIDEO1.MOV as the source video, you will then notice that it will NOT pick up the audio track, this is the only problem I had (and thus the reason for the WAV), now in the audio box, specify the WAV that we outputted.

Now process normally....

I just tried exporting to a 720p WMV and it worked great!

thanks everyone!

mike

Michael Rich March 10th, 2006 12:20 PM

Well I may have spoke too soon, it sort of seems to work.

I ran into a problem where my 2:22 clip only shows up as like 1:43 and the end is just the last frame from 1:43 over and over again. The audio track shows the right length, but not the video. *sigh*

I also tried HDTV2MPEG2 and it wouldn't even read it because it could not find a proper channel or something.

So nearly sort of back to where I started again...

Too bad Quicktime pro for Windows does not include the HDV1080i codec...