DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   New Power Macs, New Monitors and PRICE DROPS (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/6405-new-power-macs-new-monitors-price-drops.html)

Jeff Donald January 28th, 2003 08:14 AM

New Power Macs, New Monitors and PRICE DROPS

Info on Apple's site.

John Locke January 28th, 2003 08:59 AM

Thanks, Jeff (especially since you're pecking away with one hand).

Brian Pink January 28th, 2003 10:31 AM

damn $4k for a new dual-1.25 and a 23" cinema display. *almost* makes me rethink my new PD150 sitting over there. ;) almost. must work now to raise $4k...

Jaime Valles January 28th, 2003 01:21 PM

Looks like Apple is finally getting their act together in terms of price. That 20" Monitor looks reeeeally nice...

I'm a bit miffed that the low end PowerMac is not a DUAL 1Ghz. Still, great prices. Let's hope the next few months bring about Final Cut Pro 4.

Jeff Donald January 28th, 2003 11:51 PM

I expect it no later than NAB. OS 10.2.4 needs to be first and that should be this week.

Rhett Allen January 29th, 2003 11:23 AM

I think the new prices and gear are quite nice. I don't know why everybody insist's that:
1. Mac's are so darn expensive. (an equally configured PC is at least as much and usually cost's more)
2. Mac prices are getting cheaper. (they aren't, it just SEEMS like they are because they are stripping some of them down)
When I bought my Dual500 a couple of years ago it was fully loaded (and TOP of the line) and still cost just about what a new "custom configured" Mac cost's now. The only difference is the newer one's are faster. And as for LCD prices, if you thought the Apple one's were expensive, I've seen these puny Sony LCD monitors that cost over $1000 for a 15"! WHAT A CROCK!
I just don't understand the reputation from the completely uninformed public. Mac's have always been a good value investment. Can you even name a PC maker that has Firewire 800 installed on the board? Can you name a PC maker that invented ANYTHING? (nope sorry Intel did USB2 and they don't make computers just chips)

Curtis T. Stoeber January 29th, 2003 01:17 PM

I am a Mac fan, but I see Apple is still bent on that "mirrored drive doors" design, which I hate. I don't hate how it looks, I hate how it functions. There is NO WAY you can open the DVD tray unless you press the button on the keyboard. I have removed the "mirrored" part of my G4 so I can open it any damn time I please and use the MUCH better (and easier to see in low light) Apple ADB keyboard I've had for years, but doesn't have a drive open button. I am also curious why they got rid of the power button on the keyboard.

Also if you want to put an internal Zip drive in the lower slot on this same computer, you're out of luck. You'd have to pry open the door with your fingernails everytime you wanted to insert a disc.

Apple = Style over functionality.

Rhett Allen January 29th, 2003 06:01 PM

How would you open JUST ONE of the drives if you had dual optical drives? I haven't played with the new "mirror" Mac's yet.

Steve Nunez January 29th, 2003 06:02 PM

Just picked up the Cinema 23" HD display- FCP heaven- highly recommended.
$1999

Curtis T. Stoeber January 29th, 2003 06:27 PM

Very good question, Rhett. All the more reason to use the conventional eject buttons on the drives themselves that PC users enjoy. I wish I knew why Apple tries so hard to hide them.

Ivan Hedley Enger January 30th, 2003 01:19 AM

This is good news! Fine products from Apple, and now they have even got great prices.

Ivan