HDV 720 25P on FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 23rd, 2006, 06:08 AM   #1
Inner Circle

HDV 720 25P on FCP

Following the discussion regarding HDV 720 24P, I'm wondering if there are any problems with HDV 720 25P on FCP.

Looking up the supported formats I can only find 720 30P listed for FCP and there's no mention of 25P.

I assume people have found workarounds in the UK for people using the HD 100 if you can't directly import 720 25P into FCP.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 07:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Brian.

Unfortunately, FCP does not directly support HDV 720p25, at this stage. But within 24 hours I'm expecting (well ... hoping actually) that Apple will announce an upgrade (or new version) at NAB for FCP which will give full support for 720p25 and 720p24.

In the meantime, you can still get a result with FCP in terms of 720p25 footage. There are a few workarounds to get your footage captured, converted (into a Quicktime file that FCP understands) and edited. If you want your final output to be in SD PAL, I've given a workflow for PAL output in the the thread below:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=65189

If you want to output in 720p25, you could make a sequence in AIC720p25 in FCP and convert your captured .m2t files into AIC. (The other thread will give you more info on all of this.)

Plus, there is a different solution (FCP plug-in) called "Lumiere HD" (which I've never used).

Anyway, I'm hoping my current workflows will all be redundant within about 24 hours (plus however long it takes to ship an updated FCP)!
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 07:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks David,

That's extremely useful, I can pass that info on to the editor.

We're testing a film out to 35mm, so we'll need to stay in HD rather than downconverting to SD PAL.

Hopefully Apple will sort this out at NAB.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite