Some help with Final Cut Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 25th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Some help with Final Cut Pro

I recently got a hold of Final Cut Pro 5 and have never used it before, aside from playing with it for a few minutes in the Apple Store. I was wondering if someone can direct me to a site that gives the basic know-how for this program. I tried the help topics in the program, but they were not very helpful in my opinion. Anything would be great. Thanks.
Mitch Buss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #2
Major Player

I learned FCP in school so I never really read books or went on sites, but this site (http://www.larryjordan.biz/) has some good tips and articles on it and I refer to it a lot, but it may be for more advanced users, either way, should be worth a look.
Also, the discussion board on Apple's site is quite useful if you have specific questions as is the forum you're on right now:D, so if you have any questions on how to use it, feel free to ask. Also, if you need to do something specific, the manuals that come with it can be pretty useful, especially the software ones that allow you to just search for what you need.

Is FCP the first editor you've used, or did you migrate from something else? If you've migrated, you'll find out that it's very similar to most others.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Wrangler

I learned FCP by myself and the transition was very easy (and refreshing :-) after having used Adobe Premiere. But I got a couple third party books which were also quite helpful. I suggest browsing around the big bookstores in your area, like Borders and Barnes & Noble. You should find a number of FCP books there and you can choose one which presents the info in a manner you like.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have used Vegas 5 and 6 for everything before this and decided that I wanted to try out FCP because it is supposedly the be-all-end-all. I've tried Premiere and really just did not take the time to learn it. I suppose I'm just going to have to sit down with it for a day and figure it out, but any other places of info would be great.
Mitch Buss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Final Cut Pro 5/ by larry jordan

both the book and cd are great. i have one other not as good.
recommendation:
take a deep breath, clear your calendar and spend 4 straight days in 'school' with the book. take notes on the most important/interesting things and go back over those the following morning.

i had never used any program and was up and running after that. i just refer to the book when wondering about individual things. or here.

also, get it used on ebay or amazon.com used area.
Gregory S. Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, I post regularly over on the Apple FCP forum and here a bit as well.

Honestly, really do take the time to read the manual. It's very good - ok not the easiest thing in the world to refer to but then the on-line manual under the Help menu is the same thing.
Work through the tutorials as well, they'll get you into it.

So many people jump on the program without really understanding what they're doing - or they run into problems because they're not doing things in the right way.

Use it.
"rtfm" is one of the catch cry's across there.
Rob McCardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #7
New Boot

Get the ApplePro Training Series book. GET IT! It comes with a CD full of content to go along with lessons in the book. It's easy to understand and walks you through everything you could think of (and things you don't.) They also have books for DVD Studio, Motion, Soundtrack, and just about all the apple applications. It is GREAT!! Go to apple.com and search the store for Apple Pro Training. The books are about $45 each and MORE then worth it. Check it out.

D
David Roseland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

what about the books mentioned in this thread?

hi mitch
this is exactly what these books i mentioned do. they have step by step tutorials with a cd that has footage you work with that he refers to. it also has videos on the cd to show exctly what to do. you could even skip the book if you just want the absoulte basics and can learn that way.
really, try it.
Gregory S. Ouellette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite