Need help using HD footage in an SD project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 28th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Need help using HD footage in an SD project

It seems most people using HD edit in HD and then downconvert to SD after editing.

Since SD is still mainstream, I downconvert to SD in-camera, edit in SD, and recapture footage in HD if I want to do a zoom in post. Using the higher resolution of HD, I can effectively get a 2x zoom in post without losing any quality of resolution(!) I don't know if anyone else edits like that but it's a cool "feature" of HD for me :)

Anyways, so I edit in SD, then if there are any clips I want to "zoom in" on, I recapture that footage in HD and import it into my FCP project.

The problem seems to be that the HD footage gets all flicker-y and jittery, especially when playing at slow motion.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this flickering? I am guessing that it is an interlacing problem or maybe the field order is messed up? Anyone have experience with this and can help me out?

Here's a link to what I'm talking about: http://www.filefactory.com/?6e5b1a

Thanks!
Peter
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:56 AM   #2
Wrangler

You're very much on track. Make sure your HD footage is being interpreted correctly when re-digitizing.

HDV is upper field first.

I've had trouble in the past getting FCP to recognize HDV field order correctly for effects purposes. Not an issue for work with simple cuts.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
You're very much on track. Make sure your HD footage is being interpreted correctly when re-digitizing.
How do you check to make sure that the footage is being interpreted correctly?

I noticed that FCP automatically puts on a shift fields filter on the HDV footage.

All I do to import the HDV footage is to change the capture and Firewire protocol in the Audio/Video settings (I don't remember the exact phrasing of the menu options).

Where else should I check for the correct settings? The footage currently jerks back and forth when going frame by frame no matter what the shift fields setting is at, and even without it... :(

Thanks for your help!
Peter Chung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite