DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   APPLE are you out there??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/66350-apple-you-out-there.html)

Tom Chaney May 1st, 2006 05:14 AM

APPLE are you out there???

Dear Mr. Jobs,

Many of us faithful are ready to switch to another editing system to cut our HiDef features in 24P!

Where is this "imminent" version (or hopefully upgrade) of FCP that will work?

We would even be happy with a Beta release, anything would be better than out of sync, Lumiere HD.

Sincerely,

Tom Chaney (and many other Inde Filmmakers)

www.tomchaney.com

P.S. Thanks for the Intel Based Macs!

Gary Bettan May 1st, 2006 12:05 PM

MAc users looking for great HD support (HD. HDV, P2) should take a look at adding Avid Xpress Pro 5.5 to your editing toolbox when it becomes availabel later this spring.

With ver 5.5 Avid is finally delivering the same feature set to both Win & Mac customers.

Avid Unleashes Mac HD and Avid Mojo SDI for Avid Xpress Pro

NAB 2006, Las Vegas (Booth #SL701) – April 23, 2006 – Avid Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVID) today announced version 5.5 of Avid Xpress® Pro software and unveiled Avid Mojo® SDI, the newest member in Avid’s line of Digital Nonlinear Accelerator™ products. Avid Xpress Pro v.5.5 software now delivers HD capabilities for both Mac and Windows-based systems. The new Avid Mojo SDI works seamlessly with Avid Xpress Pro, providing high-quality, advanced analog and digital SDI (Serial Digital Interface) I/O connections for professional video and audio projects.

“The Avid Xpress Pro family is all about empowering digital content creators with tools that meet their needs for creating professional-quality film and video productions on a modest budget,” said Tim Wilson, senior product marketing manager for Avid. “Mac customers have been waiting for a product with robust multi-format HD editing and media management features. Both Mac and PC customers have been requesting new I/O that offers the highest-quality audio and video connections. We’re delivering on both of those requests at NAB, and as a result, we know that we’ll continue to see many high-profile projects created on Avid Xpress Pro.”

click here for more info http://www.videoguys.com/XpressProHD.html

Gary

Gary Bettan May 1st, 2006 12:05 PM

Sorry - double post

Gary McClurg May 1st, 2006 12:18 PM

But who wants to spend $1,500 bucks when you all ready have FCP 5.0 and then you're upgrading to 5.1 this week...

Plus who knows when its coming for the Avid... this spring...

Like I told the Apple guy at NAB... it's like going into a car dealer and a month after you buy the car the salesman will tell you what the mpg is...

What the JVC and Canon have been on the market for at least six months... I think its time for an update... just my .02...

Tom Chaney May 1st, 2006 06:20 PM

Gary and Gary,

Both good points. Which is my point (huh!).

The fact that I, we, are considering the options is not good for Apple.

I thought for sure that this issue would be resolved by now.

Tom

Jesper Andersson May 1st, 2006 07:25 PM

Damn this will take a hard turn for my upcomming investment, i was planning on
shooting in only 720p and edit it in FCP but you are saying that i cant?
And there is noone that knows when FCP will support it?
Hmm that was a major turnoff.

Can´t FCP even capturing and edit in 1080i and then render to 720p?

Gary Bettan May 1st, 2006 08:51 PM

Guys - let me put it to ya straight. This HDV / P2 thing is a freakin nightmare for my vendors. The camers guys come out with a new spec every model, in some kind of ridculous race to out HiDef eachother. Poor Avid, Apple, Adobe and everyone else is constantly having to engineer for some bastardization of the original HD specifications. Everytime a new cam gets introduced, they have to divert engineering resources to support it.

I realize that today, many of us are looking at frame rates and other factors to get the closest possible look & feel of film. OK, I get it. But...

In a few years from now we may look back at this and laugh and wonder why it was so damn important. Why? Because video is reaching the point where the quality is as good as film. And whatever look you require will be added in post. TV in your home will look and sound as good or better than what you see today in the muliplex's across America.

I'm not saying that film is dead or that video is better. Look at photography. The images we can create digitally have gotten to the point that most photographers on every level are switching over from film, or at least using digital along with film. It seems like we're trying so hard to stay black & white in a color world. Instead of pushing the envelope on the cinemtaography that HD makes possible, we seem obsessed with instead trying to re-create the looks that have already been done.

I'm a big fan of spinal tap. When folks ask me about HD resolutions my answer now is simple. Turn it up to 11. What is 11 you ask? 1080p! Why? Because it is the top spec possible for the highest possible resolution. Does it matter? maybe - but come this holiday season you'll see that displays advertised supporting 1080p will outsell those that don't - even though 1080p content doesn't exist!?!

What I like best from a 1080p perspective is that all the other HD resolutions become a subset of it. What I hate most about it is that it still won't be enough.

Ok, I'm off the soap box. I did not intend to upset anyome with this post. I just feel your frustrations and I also understand how hard my vendors are working to give you guys what you want. Unfortuantely everyone seems to want something a little different. Ain't life grand ;-)

Gary

Tom Chaney May 2nd, 2006 04:19 AM

Gary,

Great stuff, I agree with everything you're saying. However, the 24p thing is what's killing me.

I am shooting a project at 24p JUST IN CASE.

I realize that the chances of going to film are one in a million, but every project that I have shot or directed has ended up selling to someone.

Some have even had limited theatrical releases, at film festivals etc. So I am shooting this one in 24p with the JVC and it's just shocking to me that we don't have the solution from Apple.

I was just hoping that in a "Horton hears a Who" like moment we might stir something up.

Thanks,

Tom Chaney

Jesper - FCP does everything but 24p (with my JVC). What camera are you using?

Scott Jaco May 9th, 2006 09:02 PM

I am waiting for 24p support for my HD-100 also. 30p isn't bad though.

I thought apple was demoing 24p at NAB! for the HD-100! I'm sure the patch should be released soon, maybe this month!

Gary Bettan May 10th, 2006 08:02 AM

Guys, I found this thread started by Stephen L. Noe in another forum on dvinfonet:

FYI: Video Demo of Film workflow and Liquid 7.x
Hi,

Here is the first in a series of "how to" videos with Liquid 7.1. These type of videos are by the seat of my pants so if there are technical errors with the encoding, it is what it is. But you can be sure the information is accurate (as you watch me demo).

This first one is how to capture, edit and get your HD-100 24p content prepared to send to the film post house. It is end to end and if anyone is cutting a movie with ProHD, this is for YOU! I'll try to do a video for ProHD to SD broadcast, DVD and HDTV when using Avid Liquid 7.1 as I get time.

you can follow the thread here and find links to download the demo http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=66199

Gary

Jesper Andersson May 19th, 2006 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
Jesper - FCP does everything but 24p (with my JVC). What camera are you using?

Hi!

Currently i do not have any HD camera but i will be buying a Sony HVR-A1E so i will be filming in 1080i so it would not be any problem there i think.
But since i will make the movies downloadable i also want to offer a 720p version because everyone maybe dont have enough computerpower to
view 1080i flawless.
So FCP cant render it out to 720p? Not even compressor?
If not, will FCP support it in the near future?

Edit: Well, is should work to render it http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=67129 , so now it is just the editing part we are waiting for.