Looking forward to Intel Powermacs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Looking forward to Intel Powermacs?

I've been browsing threads here for a while and can't seem to find an answer to my question. I'm pretty sure within the next year I'm going to be switching over to a Mac so I can work with FCP.

I want to get a Power Mac, but I'm not quite sure how to deal with the whole Intel thing. Are people looking forward to Powermacs becoming intel? Should I make a point of waiting till they come out or go with the Powerpc ones now? Thanks! And just FYI I'm using premiere now with a P4 3.4ghz tower.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:44 AM   #2
Trustee

I believe most mac guys whether they admit it or not are looking forward to the intel macs, if anything because it's faster processors that are updated regularly, which should make a fast operating system really shine. So yeah intel powermacs (Intel Mac pro's?) will definitely be pretty cool.

If you should buy a g5 now or wait is up to you. Since you're a PC user you most likely will need to get all new software anyhow, so the switch to a universal binary isn't too huge of a deal I would imagine. However there are still a number of appllications that are recompiling code and what not so they aren't quite optimized on the intel processor. On the other hand the g5's currently run ALL of the mac software though it will probably be significatnly slower then the intel's when they are released. While no one knows exactly when apple is going to do anything, there are a couple of rumor sites that will give you their best guesses.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

From what they (Steve Jobs) initially said was that the PM Intel will be coming out in the 3rd quarter. So towards the end of summer 2006. I got the Dual 2.5. Was planning to get another one and deciding if I should go with the Quad 2.5 or wait for the intel. I will have to see. I may end up buying the quad and then sell my old 2.5 for the intel who knows.
Canon XL2/Glidecam 4000/SteadyStick
Sony PVM-1350 Monitor
Mike Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:04 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm using a Dual 1.25 G4 and holding out for the Intel based workstations (Macdesk Pro?, Macstation Pro?, Macbox Pro?) to come out before upgrading.

Laptops are just too "closed", expensive to upgrade, for me to jump into right now with so much HD compositing and 3D work to do. Want to basically be able to upgrade drives, memory and video board at will.

I'll keep my old 2.1Ghz Compaq laptop alive to access web-based email on the road. ;)
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Intel is supposedly releasing chips earlier than expected:
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/...28112857.shtml

While the G5 is a kick ass chip, the processor itself ends up getting "starved" because of the rest of the components. In essence, the G5 is continually waiting on the rest of the computer to give it stuff to do. The Intel machines will be nice, for sure, and show big improvements. It will be another year at least before things get optimized, so you'll probably see a speed boost over time! Odd as that sounds. 2 reasons, optimizing for the new processor, and continuing updating of OS libraries to make applications like FCP 64 bit native completely. Those 2 things make the next year or 2 really exciting in terms of performance.

Beware the bugs in the meantime! :-)
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:01 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ludwig
Are people looking forward to Powermacs becoming intel?
Actually I think they are dropping the "PowerMac" name. "Power" is supposed be dropped entirely from every new model (I think).

I'm looking forward to the Intel towers (whatever they call 'em) with BLURAY drives. Not buying nothin until they have BLURAY drives.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:32 PM   #7
Trustee

Why wouldn't we? They'll smoke the aging G5 off the planet. I'm even contemplating selling my 5 month old Dual core 2.0GHz G5 for an intel iMac. It's just as fast and it comes with a display and is cheaper. ONly down side is 2GB RAM only and considering I only have 1.5 at the moment and I'm fine it's a non issue. Combined with the fact that my wife gets my hand me downs (She's on a mac mini now) she'd prefer an iMac to Powermac anyway.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ok, thanks guys! I'm excited to see what Apple comes out with and will probably buy one in the near future. Any ideas on price differences?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:10 AM   #9
Major Player

I'd expect the prices to be in line with what they are today. If the iMac, Mac mini and Macbook Pro are any indication, Apple likes their price points. And Craig, if you are waiting for BluRay you will be waiting a bit for both the price of drives to come down AND the price of media. We're talking cutting edge. Apple isn't going to put those drives into their machines until the retail price gets lower... maybe like $350 retail. (that's a wild guess, anyone have the price point when they started putting in DVD-R drives?)

If you get an Intel machine though you can always add an external burner later...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite