HELP!!! Must cut shorter. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 9th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HELP!!! Must cut shorter.

I have to cut this film down to 6-7 minutes. It is a 11 and I feel it's good at this length but the client need a 6-7 minute version.

All cutting ideas welcome.

Thanks.

www.frankieboots.net/TFD_SMALL.mov
Michael Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I think the cinematography is nicely done.

It's essentially a narrative about a woman freeing herself from (we find out at the end) a not so good relationship. You're asking for advice to cut it by nearly half:
I'd cut everything from the beginning except a short shot on the airplane and then go straight to her alone in the hotel room. I'd speed up the transitions (too much black time). I'd speed up the train scene—open with the 2 women, the photographer asks to take her photo, cut almost everything else in that scene. Then go to them on the beach and so on. You could also cut most of her examining the red & yellow tulips at the hotel. The scene drags a bit.

Other advice: I'd cut most of the voice-over. The images tell the story, and a little more mystery wouldn't hurt.

The movie does work at 11 minutes, but you know, I think it will work better at 7.

I know I'm suggesting you cut some find photography, some painfully aquired shots. It's easy to give that sort of advice if it's not your film.

Good luck.
Francois Camoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Camoin
I think the cinematography is nicely done.

It's essentially a narrative about a woman freeing herself from (we find out at the end) a not so good relationship. You're asking for advice to cut it by nearly half:
I'd cut everything from the beginning except a short shot on the airplane and then go straight to her alone in the hotel room. I'd speed up the transitions (too much black time). I'd speed up the train scene—open with the 2 women, the photographer asks to take her photo, cut almost everything else in that scene. Then go to them on the beach and so on. You could also cut most of her examining the red & yellow tulips at the hotel. The scene drags a bit.

Other advice: I'd cut most of the voice-over. The images tell the story, and a little more mystery wouldn't hurt.

The movie does work at 11 minutes, but you know, I think it will work better at 7.

I know I'm suggesting you cut some find photography, some painfully aquired shots. It's easy to give that sort of advice if it's not your film.

Good luck.

That's very helpful.

Anyone else...Please.
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm at lunch using WMP to view this, so it might not be completely accurate.... (and you also might not like any of my ideas)

Original length: 10:59
Target: 7:00
Must Cut: 3:59

- 50 seconds = 10:09
Speed up the closing credits or start showing the credits during the closing and remove the last 50 seconds

-36 seconds = 9:33
Start at 00:37 (VO will need to be changed or cut) with exit from taxi

-24 seconds = 9:09
Cut 00:58 - 1:22

-11 seconds = 8:58
cut flower arranging from 2:06 - 2:17 (Keep the smile)

- 4 seconds = 8:54
cut 3:46 - 3:50

- 9 seconds = 8:45
cut scooter scene from 7:14 - 7:23

Maybe you can cut some of the flowers?

Maybe you can cut bridge walking down from 9:26 - 9:35?

You might also shorten the intro to the beach.

Well, that is as far as I can help right now. I have to go back to work... :-)
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McManimie
I'm at luch using WMP to view this, so it might not be completely accurate.... (and you also might like any of my ideas)

Original lenth: 10:59
Target: 7:00
Must Cut: 3:59

- 50 seconds = 10:09
Speed up the closing credits or start showing the credits during the closing and remove the last 50 seconds

-36 seconds = 9:33
Start at 00:37 (VO will need to be changed or cut) with exit from taxi

-24 seconds = 9:09
Cut 00:58 - 1:22

-11 seconds = 8:58
cut flower arranging from 2:06 - 2:17 (Keep the smile)

- 4 seconds = 8:54
cut 3:46 - 3:50

- 9 seconds = 8:45
cut scooter scene from 7:14 - 7:23

Maybe you can cut some of the flowers?

Maybe you can cut bridge walking down from 9:26 - 9:35?

You might also shorten the intro to the beach.

Well, that is as far as I can help right now. I have to go back to work... :-)
Thanks. Again very helpful.

More comments please.
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Trustee

Piece is too organic...I'd need to write out the script and break it down into its shots...I am at work and don't have time for that right now...sorry...I'm thinking a paring down of the VO dialog could be done while keeping the message and the tone of the piece. And some of the montages could be pared down to select very specific shot pairs to suggest specific emotions. view/reaction pairs specifically.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite