DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 15th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV to DV

For various reasons I do my final output in MiniDV still. I edit, and do graphics, however, using the HDV codec. My biggest stumbling block has been finishing the final product out to DV. So far, as I've noticed many others on this board have done, I've had to output back to camera, and then do a camera downconvert in order to get decent looking DV. Are there any other successful solutions as this one really stinks. I have not been able to successfully "just drop" it into a DV timeline - but maybe I am doing that incorrectly. Any advice would be great as this is really slowing us down. As a side note - I cannot write my HDV to MPEG2 because I have to be able to use the black letterbox bars for more info in my commercials, etc.

Thanks very much,
Max Kaiser
Max Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

read previous thread

I just read all the way through Nate Weaver's excellent discourse on this subject. I am also one of the 1080i (FX1) people. I will try doing some tests with his "3rd" compressor option. Anybody who has already figured out 1080i HDV to DV solution would be great to hear from.

Thanks,
Max
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I know this FCP forum, but I did a HDV project in PPro 2.0, then rendered to DV directly, and from there used DV Architect to render a DVD. I felt the result was pretty clean. From one who is considering going to the Apple/Mac OS, when you say you've seen this problem mentioned before, are you talking in FCP or in general for 1080i, no matter what platform ?
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, there is a whole section on things people have done to make their HDV work in an SD environment. This is somewhat different from simply outputting HDV to a finished SD product.

Thanks,
Max
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sorry, Chris. I may not have responded to your question exactly. This is for FCP and 1080i.

My specs are: 1080i60 footage from FX1
Editing using the HDV codec (but will probably soon switch to AIC after reading these forums)
FCP 5.0.4
Compressor 2.0.1
Computer is Quad, with 4.5g ram and 6600 video card

I'm wanting to do finishing work in DV.

One quick question for anyone reading this - what are the exact steps to using compressor write out a 10bit uncompressed file? This is Nate's 3rd option for 720p footage.

Thanks!
Max
Max Kaiser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite