DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   how to configure post-production monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/67457-how-configure-post-production-monitor.html)

John Grant May 15th, 2006 10:50 PM

how to configure post-production monitor

Hi and thanks for previous help,
How do I explain to the Apple people what I need for a post production NTSC monitor? They don't have any idea. I am up to 12 calls to Apple trying to spend $8000 with them. I have had an easier time buying a house than buying this computer. Thanks, John
Edit I am referring to the inside components that Apple could install in order to buy a third party NTSC monitor. Do I need another card? Would a DVI to VGA to S-video adapter running off the other GPU head work? Then I would lose the second computer monitor, plus I don't believe that is the right configuration. Thanks, John

Glenn Chan May 15th, 2006 11:55 PM

I don't think Apple sells broadcast monitors, which I believe is what you're looking for. Apple does sell computer monitors... which show computer signals (whereas broadcast monitors will show video signals accurately).

Sony, JVC, Panasonic, Ikegami, and maybe some other companies make CRT-based broadcast monitors. Sony is discontinuing their PVM line, and only making their BVM-A line (the BVMs are really, really expensive).

For LCDs, there is...
Sony, Panasonic, Ecinemasys, TVLogic?, Cinetal, and maybe some other companies. Blackmagic, Ecinemasys, and another company sells DVI to HD-SDI converters to turn LCDs into a monitor.
IMO, the Luma series LCD from Sony isn't that great. Even Sony recommends a CRT over their LCDs for critical monitoring. I would expect the other <$10k LCDs to be the same idea.

2- In my opinion, the best monitor for SD would be a CRT-based broadcast monitor.

The best monitor for HD would still be a CRT-based broadcast monitor (not an LCD). I believe JVC and Sony have some offerings in the $5k range (see the Sony PVM L5 with the appropriate input card).
You can check bhphotovideo.com for prices.

Steve Grunberger May 16th, 2006 04:38 AM

I have a Sony Broadcast monitor connected to my Quad G5 via a Blackmagic breakout box. AJA and Balckmagic sell cards for this.

www.aja.com
www.blackmagic.com

I have a Sony BVMA20F1A CRT Monitor and it's great, no issues at all.

If you need more info, please feel free to PM me.

Steve

Dean Sensui May 18th, 2006 12:39 PM

John...

I have a Decklink SP card that feeds component to a Betacam deck and a Sony 14" PVM monitor.

When I start doing HD work I'm planning to change over to a Decklink HD Extreme card, get an HDLink and have that drive an LCD display.

I'll keep the 14" Sony PVM monitor for color reference and to do SD work as well.

If you're not doing critical color, then the LCD monitor is ideal to see full details in HD work. But if you're doing interlaced or SD video, then you will probably do better with a CRT-type monitor -- which is getting harder to get as they're stopping the manufacture of all CRT's.

By the way, I got a lot of advice from Mike Curtis at HDforIndies and Graeme Nattress. Thanks!

John Grant May 19th, 2006 09:47 AM

Thanks for your help!

Thank-you for your help Dean, Steve and Glenn. You guys were more helpful than any of the Apple techs. I am not an Appleknocker, but it would be nice for them to have one tech. that specializes in NLE's. This website has worked well for accessing valuable information. Plus B&H Photo has in stock the right third party part that I need. Thanks again, John