DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Possible fix for 4 channel capture on FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/67586-possible-fix-4-channel-capture-fcp.html)

Sam Sutch May 17th, 2006 02:08 PM

Possible fix for 4 channel capture on FCP

I'm unsure of how backwards-compatible this is, but I'm using final cut pro 5.

Alright, so I think I found a way to capture 4 channels from the XL2.

First, you have to create an Easy Setup, so (with final cut open) go to menu Final Cut Pro-->Audio/Video Settings.... Click on the Sequence Presets tab and choose your favorite preset. Click on Duplicate and a new dialog will open. Under Audio set Rate to 32khz. This is because when recording four channels onto DV, the XL2 has to bump down to 32khz. Confirm that dialog and click on the Capture Presets Tab. [ Illustrated here ]

Again, select your favorite preset and click Duplicate. Under Quicktime Audio Settings set Input to Mix 4 Channels or another, depending if you want to 4 individual channels or not. [ Illustrated here ] Now, set Format to 32.000 kHz 16-bit 2-chan. [ Illustrated here ] This is so Final Cut is sure what type of audio you're capturing from the XL2. Confirm that dialog and make sure it's selected in the list.

Now, click back on the Summary tab and click Create Easy Setup. A dialog box will pop up. Name your setup and click confirm that dialog.

I have also created a custom preset you cand drop in your Macintosh HD-->Library-->Application Support-->Final Cut Pro Support-->Cutom Presets folder here.

Now just get your camera outputting 4 channels over firewire and the rest should be golden! Also let me know if it works for you. :)

-Sam

Tucker Wright May 17th, 2006 03:14 PM

i noticed the custom file you created had 30p in the title. Does it work for 24p also?

Sam Sutch May 17th, 2006 07:02 PM

It should. Just customize it once you install it, or just make your own. The preset I linked to is the one I use for internet-only distributed shows. (smaller file size @ 30p).

-Sam

Al Smith May 25th, 2006 09:31 AM

Thanks so much Sam for the valuable info you posted. I knew it had to be an easy way of doing this. By the way, I'm using FCP 4.5 and it works the same.

George Josol May 28th, 2006 10:56 PM

Sam,
I was going nuts trying to figure out how to get multiple audio tracks into FCP 5. Your write up worked for me! I just wanted to drop a note of thanks!

George-

Ash Greyson May 30th, 2006 01:59 AM

Doesnt this just capture a mix-down of the 4 channels into 2 channels? That option has always been available. Didnt mess with it very long but it doesnt seem to offer 4 seperate channels as far as I can tell. What is the point of having 4 channels when they are not independently mixable? I did some 4 channel XL2 stuff in the past and I did a mix down rough edit then recaptured the audio in 2 passes for the final mix... a real pain according to the editor. I originally thought I captured all 4 but recently when I inquired how to do it with him he told me he had to rebuild all the audio...

ash =o)