DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 2nd, 2006, 05:04 AM   #1
New Boot

Someone Help ME!

Ok, here is the situation. I've been filming lots of footage of my daughter (9 month old) since the day she was born. For the first 6 months of her life, I used a little 3 ccd panasonic 150 camera. A few months ago, I moved up to the Sony A1U. Nice camera.

Anyway, I want to start putting some clips together. My question is How can I get all of my Panasonic footage to be fully rendered in Final Cut Pro if I've used iMovie to capture it? I have the .DV extension on the panasonic files. I want to be able to import them into Final Cut fully rendered like when you import video through final cut and you don't have to render it when it goes to the timeline. I don't know if I'm explaining myself well enough.

I just hate having to render those clips every time I pull one into the timeline.

Anyone know what to do?

Thanks.
Aric Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 05:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Aric,

Bite the bullet and render. You can either render in FCP or render out of iMovie by exporting the clips under Expert Settings. From there choose, Export Movie to QuickTime Movie, Options>Settings>Compression Type: DV/DVCPro-NTSC. Make sure audio is 48khz 16 bit and size settings set to 720x480. After exporting, these clips will not need rendering in FCP if all your settings are correct.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 09:01 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Dave for the info.

Okay, time to start rendering 3 hours worth of baby clips. UGH.....
Aric Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 12:06 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Another option is to dump all your clips into a new FCP sequence. use the Media Manager to copy + convert the clips.

The problem stems from iMovie recording in DV stream format and FCP recording with another formatting for DV. You may actually want to just re-capture everything in FCP if you didn't do any editing in iMovie. FCP will keep the timecode and can capture over timecode breaks like iMovie (although iMovie is more elegant when capturing over timecode breaks).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite