DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 6th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Color correcting a multiclip

Hi. I've done a three camera shoot and want to tweak the color on two of the angles to make them match the third camera better. What's the best workflow method for doing this?
Dale Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Trustee

Usually it is enough to get the Levels to match, so what I do is to open up a reference clip, and fiddle with the three-way color corrector (or whatever it is called in your editing application) until the highlights, midtones, and shadows match. If you are fussy you could then target individual colors for correction with the secondary color corrector. I assume the exposures are matched so you do not have to compensate for differences in brightness.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, but I'm wondering what to do first. Do I make a multiclip, edit the whole thing, then go back and search for the angles I need to fix... or do I fix the angle prior to making it into a multiclip. It's the workflow that I'm not sure about.
Old June 6th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Dale what are you using in post? FCP, Avid, Premiere? Well i cut in FCP and there's a nice feature where you can just copy the color profile from one clip to another. If it doesn't match perfectly it would at least give you a starting point and then tweak it from there. Good luck!
Canon XL2/Glidecam 4000/SteadyStick
Sony PVM-1350 Monitor
Mike Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm in Final Cut Pro 5. Just got it a couple of weeks ago. I could crack open the 1800 pages of manual, but I thought you guys could maybe point me in the right direction faster. Or tell me what pages to read!
Old June 6th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You might want to go read the article posted yesterday on Ken Stone's website about FCP's multicam editing. There is a tip about color correcting that suggests doing the correction on the clip(s) while they are still in the bin (before editing).

I didn't know about that feature, but plan on using it on my next project.

Mike.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite