DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 7th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #1
New Boot

FCP batch recapture at high res stretches image

I captured mini-dv footage at low resolution on the FCP HD software to save space. I used the offline RT NTSC (photo jpg) format. I am now recapturing at high resolution using the DV NTSC 48 Khz setting. I used the batch capture function. I selected the clips from the timeline and control-clicked on one of the clips and hit capture.

All recaptured material have black bars on the top and bottom of the frame with the image looking horizontally stretched.

When I try to capture footage from the same tape at high resolution manually, the footage looks great. No problems.

Both the stretched image from the batch capture and the manually captured image from the same mini-dv tape have the same dimensions: 720 x 480.
Am I missing something important? What could I be doing wrong?

I shot the footage on a Sony FX1 using the DV mode with a 4 x3 aspect ratio.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Carol Gancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #2
Wrangler

You've got the anamorphic box checked somewhere, somehow. Check the capture preference and make sure that you have DV NTSC and not DV NTSC Anamorphic.

Even wide screen video is 720X480, the only thing that changes is the anamorphic flag which instructs the NLE to elongate the horizontal pixels to form a 16:9 aspect ratio.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #3
New Boot

No anamorphic setting as far as I can tell

Thanks for the quick reply, Greg. I appreciate it.

I checked all capture settings. Everything looks in order. It's definitely not on DV NTSC anamorphic. Nor is it checked in one of the tick boxes.

My plan is to generate an EDL from the offline when I finish the piece and build the high res footage on a new project. For some reason, when I capture manually or use the edl function, everything works just fine. The mysterious dimension issue is mind boggling. There is definitely something I need to uncheck to eliminate the problem. For now, I'll settle for whatever works.
Carol Gancia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite