DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Macbook Pro...whines, humms, overheating, oh my! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/69573-macbook-pro-whines-humms-overheating-oh-my.html)

Scott Shama June 15th, 2006 01:45 AM

Macbook Pro...whines, humms, overheating, oh my!

How many of you are seeing the various problems with the 15" MacBook Pro that it seems are prevalent on the Apple forums?

I'm trying to decide if I should risk version 1.0 of the Macbook Pro.

Thanks,
Scott

Dave Perry June 15th, 2006 05:19 PM

I would buy one and if it acts up return it. You have a year in which to do it. Overall, the reports of noisey, overheated MacBook Pros are small in comparison the the ones the work properly.

Ben Bixby June 15th, 2006 09:42 PM

I have had my 17" Macbookpro for about 2 weeks now, and have never encountered these problems. All this commotion is just caused from some obsessive compulsive person who can't stand the noise of a fan coming from a laptop. I can barely hear it when rendering video in AE7 or while playing BF2. It does get hot, but what laptop doesn't?

This is the best computer I've ever owned, and my very first Mac. I love it!

Dave Perry June 16th, 2006 05:20 AM

Ben, welcome to Macintosh! There are, however, some legitimate issues with a few of the MacBook Pros regarding noise and overheating. I thinks it's limited to the 15" models though.

Boyd Ostroff June 16th, 2006 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Perry
I would buy one and if it acts up return it. You have a year in which to do it.

I think this is going to give some people the wrong impression. You don't have a year to return it. You would have a one year warranty if there's a problem. I have always been really impressed with Apple's service, but you need to realize they won't replace your computer, just repair and return it to you. Some issues take a long time to be resolved (for example see the following: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45834)

Also don't fall into the trap of "I'll buy it and just send it back for a refund if I don't like it." Caveat Emptor: be sure to read all the fine print before buying: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...spolicies.html

Apple will let you return a computer within 14 days if you aren't satisfied, but there's one big "catch": If you customized the computer in any way then it is not returnable. So, for example, if you ordered a powerbook with extra RAM or a larger hard drive, it wouldn't be returnable. And on items which do qualify for a return, you will be assessed a 10% restocking fee if it was opened.

Quote:

RETURN & REFUND POLICY
If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 14 calendar days of the receipt of the product. Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless DOA. If the item is returned unopened in the original box, we will exchange it or offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. The product must be returned to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product. A 10% open box fee will be assessed on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, you may be asked to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) for apple to assess the 10% open box restocking fee.
Now please don't get me wrong. I'm a big Apple supporter and I don't know about any problems with the MacBook Pro's - in fact they look really cool to me. But I just want to point out that you need to read all the fine print and think carefully before entering your credit card number and placing an order. We have a couple old threads here from upset people who found that their computers could not be returned. Likewise, there are examples of people who felt Apple should give them a new computer instead of repairing their old one. I was told informally by a "genius" at an Apple Store that if they were unable to fix my Powerbook problem after sending it in 3 times that they would be willing to discuss replacing it. In my case, the third time was the charm and my 15" G4 Powerbook is still working fine (which is good, because my AppleCare has expired now :-)

So the point is: do your "due diligence" to research any concerns you have BEFORE you buy. Also, I would seriously consider purchasing the AppleCare extended warranty on any laptop. I've never purchased it on a desktop system, and have never needed it. But laptops are another sort of beast...

Cannon Pearson June 16th, 2006 08:39 AM

My 15" Macbook Pro does get pretty warm. After the latest firmware updates it seems that the CPU throttling must be kicking in. It doesn't get so hot anymore when I'm not really taxing it. I can actually sit it on my lap now if I'm just surfing the internet or something like that.

As far as the whine, I can kinda hear something if I'm in a totally quiet room. I can't believe that this is the whine that all of the people are complaining about. It's nothing compared to my Lacie drives. It really just sounds like a computer operating to me. It's much quieter than my old 12" Powerbook.

Carl Martin June 22nd, 2006 06:17 PM

I am new to Mac as well. My MBP 17" get so hot, I cant even touch it. It gets hot right behind the keyboard below the monitor. I took into Apple and they recreated the heat, and told me this is absolutely normal becuase of the dual processors. They said if it gets to hot it will shut itself down.

I excepted this, and hope that nothing happens.

Guest June 23rd, 2006 05:55 PM

No problems here with my 17" MBP. It's very quiet. Much more quiet than my year old Sony Vaio. It does get warm underneath, but I never have it just sitting in my lap, so that does not affect me.

Spike Spiegel June 23rd, 2006 11:03 PM

according to apple, these laptops are not suggested to be used on.....laps... thats really what a technician said. We have 17" MBpro for work and I kid you not, this thing is untouchably hot... Supposedly mac did a horrendous job of putting thermal compounds on vital components, and there could be a plastic sheet that they forgot to take out from the back vents... These aren't rumors, so if yours get ridiculously hot, check for those.

We're steering clear from macs now on, support is decent if you have applecare, but the hardware isn't just that great. Theres no customization options, simply, upgrade to a new computer... We run bootcamp and are using premiere on it with all the final cut issues with Intel based chips... Back to topic, no whiny noises though, and the fan is barely audible.. Putting in 2 chips and various hardware in aircraft grade aluminum isn't the smartest thing however, this thing is soooo hot..

Carl Martin June 24th, 2006 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel
according to apple, these laptops are not suggested to be used on.....laps... thats really what a technician said. We have 17" MBpro for work and I kid you not, this thing is untouchably hot... Supposedly mac did a horrendous job of putting thermal compounds on vital components, and there could be a plastic sheet that they forgot to take out from the back vents... These aren't rumors, so if yours get ridiculously hot, check for those.

We're steering clear from macs now on, support is decent if you have applecare, but the hardware isn't just that great. Theres no customization options, simply, upgrade to a new computer... We run bootcamp and are using premiere on it with all the final cut issues with Intel based chips... Back to topic, no whiny noises though, and the fan is barely audible.. Putting in 2 chips and various hardware in aircraft grade aluminum isn't the smartest thing however, this thing is soooo hot..

Hey Spike,

If there is plastic covering the vents, how can it be removed? Do you have to take the computer apart?

Thanks,

Carl

Spike Spiegel June 24th, 2006 10:42 AM

Carl, do a google search onthat, you'll see plenty of blogs with people showing pictures, step by step, removing the plastic cover. It should be right underneath the vents on the back of the screen.No disassembly is required, you can just simply peel it off, if you see it. We didn't have this problem, however, our rig is still insanely hot. We are ultimately going to take it apart and re-apply the thermal compound. This is a polite tone on the thermal compound issue: http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...on.html?page=1

Ash Greyson June 24th, 2006 11:01 PM

I returned my MBP and decided to keep my 15" Powerbook until they worked things out. Some people have redone the compound, etc. and helped with the problem. This is a problem with ALL MBP's it's just up to the owner how tolerable it is. Heat is the enemy of a computer and I just did not trust it in the long run...

ash =o)

Carl Martin June 25th, 2006 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel
Carl, do a google search onthat, you'll see plenty of blogs with people showing pictures, step by step, removing the plastic cover. It should be right underneath the vents on the back of the screen.No disassembly is required, you can just simply peel it off, if you see it. We didn't have this problem, however, our rig is still insanely hot. We are ultimately going to take it apart and re-apply the thermal compound. This is a polite tone on the thermal compound issue: http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...on.html?page=1

Thanks Spike.

Dean Sensui June 25th, 2006 09:16 PM

When I first started using my refurbished 15" 1.83GHz MBP it ran pretty hot. To the point that the panel on the left side of the keyboard became uncomfortably hot. And forget about putting it on my lap if I wore shorts.

But after the firmware update is doesn't seem to be getting anywhere near as warm.

And there has never been any issues of fan noise.

Carl Martin June 26th, 2006 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Sensui
When I first started using my refurbished 15" 1.83GHz MBP it ran pretty hot. To the point that the panel on the left side of the keyboard became uncomfortably hot. And forget about putting it on my lap if I wore shorts.

But after the firmware update is doesn't seem to be getting anywhere near as warm.

And there has never been any issues of fan noise.

What firmware update? Will it download when I check for software updates, or do I have to downlaod it manually?

Thanks.