Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 20th, 2006, 04:59 AM   #1
Major Player

I'm loosing 4 seconds between clips!!

Hi,

When I capture 720/30p footage into FCP 5.1, I am loosing 4 seconds between subclips.

This is especially strange since the “create new clip on Start/Stop” box is unchecked!

I don’t even want subclips for this particular project. Just raw footage. I noticed my clips were getting cut off by a second or two. In the clip menu, the timecode confirms 4 seconds between the end of the last clip and the beginning of a new one.

How do I get rid of the gaps? I have to capture the entire damn project all over again and I am really pissed!!!!!!

Here is how I captured the footage: I selected Log & Capture then hit play and then hit "Capture Now".

I hate this software already.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I’m using an HD-100 to capture via firewire.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Major Player

I have had a similar problem while capturing native HDV from a Canon XL H1 (and I had to recapture, too, after finding this out - including the inevitable strong words). To start with, I have to say that you can't get rid of the gaps entirely - the least you will miss is 2s12f at the beginning of each clip. In order to reduce your loss to the minimum, you need to duplicate your existing device control preset and set pre- and post-roll durations to their minima (1s).

Using AIC instead of native HDV will get rid of the problem for you - with the well known limitations (e.g. no time code, slow capture, larger files, etc.).

HTH,

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This seems to be a recurring issue with FCP and HDV. I had the same problem capturing footage from my HD-100. The only workaround for capturing the tapes in one pass was, like Ron said, to use AIC.

You can also log each individual clip for batch capture, but that can be a pain when you've got a tape with a lot of very short clips on it.

If you're doing studio work, and want to capture full tapes, preroll everything like 10s, and you should be good. Obviously, that's not helpful if you're shooting weddings and events, and have to snap-shoot an unexpected event.
Ben Brainerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you guys sooo much!!!!!

The AIC worked like a charm. It still does the auto subcliping but I'm not losing any footage at the beginning/end of each clip anymore!

The reason I was soo stressed was because I videotaped an engagement party and I had a lot of 10 second interviews w/ the X-less mic and I was losing half the interview.

I guess Apple really wants you to use their Codec, because right now, its is the only thing that works.

I A/B'd the 2 codecs and AIC looks just as good as the HDV native codec...at least to my eyes, so anyone with the same issue should definatly switch to AIC capture.

Thanks again!

Edited to add: Just finished rendering 2 1/2 hours of footage. Using the AIC takes up twice as much hard disk space as with HDV.
20GB for HDV vs 42GB for AIC.

This kinda sucks but I have a 500 GB hard disk. I hope apple fixes this glitch. At least I get faster editing/rendering this way.

Scott

Last edited by Scott Jaco; June 20th, 2006 at 04:14 PM.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pfister

Using AIC instead of native HDV will get rid of the problem for you - with the well known limitations (e.g. no time code, slow capture, larger files, etc.).
Can I ask a dumb question? What is AIC?

I am having the same problem with the JVC HD-100 and FCP 5.1.1. My gaps vary from 4-7 seconds. But here's the worst part - I rented 2 HD-100s to shoot a wedding, FCP split the longest clip (the one with the vows) even though the camera never stopped rolling. Oh by the way, this happend with both cameras. What gives?

Now I have to rent the JVC player to recapture all the footage for $250 a day! The HD-100 does have a nice picture though...

Joe
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Joe, AIC stands for Apple Intermediate Codec.

Because FCP doesn't support 720p24 or 720p25, a lot of GY-HD100 users edit using AIC, which is an excellent codec for progressive scan footage (720p).

If you are going to the extra expense of hiring a deck to recapture, then I strongly suggest that you capture the footage in 2 different ways. First of all, recapture it with FCP (I assume that you are working with 720p30 footage to have captured with FCP in the first place) as you were intending to.

Then capture it with an alternate method, just to cover yourself.

Capture the footage with a free application called DVHSCap. This will capture the footage as ".m2t" files (short for MPEG-2 Transport Stream). DVHSCap will probably even capture an entire tape, all as one file, if you want. It's one way to "get around" the problem of all those unwanted breaks in your footage.

Then you use another free application called MPEG Streamclip to convert your .m2t files into AIC Quicktime (.mov) files. The great thing about MPEG Streamclip is that it has a function to "Fix Timecode Breaks" so that when you convert to Quicktime, ALL of your footage will be available (including on both sides of a timecode break caused each time you stop/start the camera) and the audio will also be in sync.

I've already listed all of the steps for editing in AIC (for 720p25) including the links for obtaining the free software in post#8 on this page:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70518

Of course, you would simply need to change each "25" (I am in a PAL area) and put "29.97" (or whatever is correct for an NTSC area - you'd know better than I would).

Another thing I like about AIC is that if you export your completed sequence as an AIC movie, it's very quick and easy to then burn a DVD of it using iDVD or DVD Studio Pro.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite