DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 27th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Problems! hd100 and dvx100 - SD 24p 16:9

Here's the deal:

I am trying to edit some footage that was shot 16:9. It was a two camera shoot, shot in 24p 16:9 (NOT HD). When I bring it into my timeline, the letterboxes are not quite the same. They are just a little off. It seems like the HD100 is 16:9 and the DVX is 4/3 with letterboxes.

Is there a way to fix it so that the letterboxes are at LEAST in the same place?

I will be shooting a LOT w/ the DVX as the second camera. Is there a way to avoid this problem in the future?

I should also note that we accidentally had the JVC on 24p and the DVX on 24pa, but I do not believe that is the source of the problem.

Any help would be greatly apprecieated.

[dan]
Dan G. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

And to expand just a bit on that:

Do I need to capture the HD100 24p 16:9 footage in Anamorphic mode? I understand that if I shoot HD, then I am natively shooting HD, however, if I shoot SD, is it letterboxe? or anamorphed. Basically I am really confused as to how to correctly capture the footage from these two cameras, what settings to have the timeline, sequence, capture on etc.

Any tips on workflow would be apprecieated.

It wouldn't be so confusing if I was simply footage shot from 2 of the same cameras.
Old June 27th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #3
Major Player

I have mixed Anamoprhic Footage with the JVC and my old Canon DV camera just fine.

Even though the JVC has a Native 16x9 chip, in SD the footage becomes Anamorphic because of the DV Specs. In your editing system, both the DVX and the HD100 Footage should be checked as having been Anamorphic.

It appears you are using FCP since you mention sequence settings, so if you are be aware there is no preset for 24PA Anamorphic. I have the newest version, but for the past few versions FCP can recognize that the footage it is capturing is Anamorphic and should automatically check the box for you. I really do not know why they appear to be off.

In your case, use the Easy preset for 24PA for the DVX. For the JVC since you used 2:3 24P, capture with that setting, and remove the pulldown with Cinema Tools. Once this is completed, just look at the clip settings in the bin and make sure that under the "Anamorphic" heading to see if it is checked. If not, check it. You sequence should be DV - NTSC - 24PA. Also make shure the "Anamorphic" box is check. The editing timebase should be "23.98"

Can you post a clip of the two?
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

@ Steve

Thanks for the reply. I am currently converting the 24p to 24pa with cinema tools. I'll post a clip when its done.

Any idea though, why the "letterboxes" would be different sizes? Its very very subtle on macbook pro, but I worry that on a larger screen, it would be a problem.
Old June 27th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan G. Brown
@ Steve

Thanks for the reply. I am currently converting the 24p to 24pa with cinema tools. I'll post a clip when its done.

Any idea though, why the "letterboxes" would be different sizes? Its very very subtle on macbook pro, but I worry that on a larger screen, it would be a problem.
Which of the two does not fill the set Gray "Box" that is in the Viewer? Ie, which camera gives you a clip that doesn't fill the whole frame (I think you said it was the DVX?
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

right now, the DVX does not fill the entire frame. I would have to expand the size of it. In the canvas it looks normal, but when brought onto the timeline it gets small for some reason.
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:14 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan G. Brown
right now, the DVX does not fill the entire frame. I would have to expand the size of it. In the canvas it looks normal, but when brought onto the timeline it gets small for some reason.
In the Bin, look at the DVX Clip Settings and check the following:

Frame Size, Anamorphic, Compressor, Frame Rate. What are they?

Then check a JVC Clip for the same?
Steve Benner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite